It's Truly Headless!

Believe it or not, I had to revamp my target goal of my BeagleBone Black, to make it more useful to me. It functions well in headless mode and I didn't want it to be a dust collector. I am now running Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander), with upgraded Linux Kernel, on the eMMC of my BeagleBone Black. I upgraded by kernel using the instructions from this web page.


Starting off, I used BBB-eMMC-flasher-ubuntu-13.04-2013-06-14.img to flash the eMMC of my BeagleBone BlackBeagleBone Black:

  1. I revised the APT sources
  2. I did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
  3. And then, I upgraded the Kernel and rebooted.
  4. I switched to root by typing in "sudo su -"
  5. locale-gen en_PH.UTF-8 (I live in Philippines...)
  6. dpkg-reconfigure locales
  7. useradd -d /home/username -m username
  8. passwd username
  9. usermod -a -G adm username
  10. usermod -a -G dialout username
  11. usermod -a -G cdrom username
  12. usermod -a -G floppy username
  13. usermod -a -G audio username
  14. usermod -a -G dip username
  15. usermod -a -G video username
  16. usermod -a -G admin username
  17. exit and logout
  18. log back in as username
  19. I switched to root by typing in "sudo su -"
  20. userdel -r ubuntu
  21. exit and enjoy Ubuntu on BeagleBone Black.

Here's what I did to make Ubuntu minimal work for most of my projects:

  1. sudo apt-get remove apache2
  2. sudo apt-get install build-essential festival festival-dev festvox-kdlpc16k festvox-kallpc16k festvox-rablpc16k festvox-don tree groff-base man-db
  3. sudo apt-get install python-serial python-dev python-setuptools python-pip python-smbus
  4. sudo pip install Adafruit_BBIO (follow additional instructions...)
  5. sudo apt-get avr-libc avrdude binutils-avr gcc-avr binutils-msp430 gcc-msp430 msp430mcu mspdebug msp430-libc

My APT Sources

My udev rules...

Inside the Mounting Case...

Yesterday, I decided to kick out a working Atmel AVR microcontroller development board to make room for the BeagleBone Black. I originally bought the black casing from Alexan Commercial (Philippines) during the middle of 2010, and it served well for developing Atmel AVR applications. But time has passed and my BeagleBone Black needed a case.


Only one (1) screw is used to physically attach the BeagleBone Black to black casing, the other three (3) screws are attached to chopped-off mounts that are attached to soft adhesive to prevent the BeagleBone Black from spinning around. My hot glue gun isn't available and I didn't have any other way of securely mounting the BeagleBone Black. My original idea was the drill additional holes for the audio cable, but then I decided to recycle a USB hub that works well with the BeagleBone Black.

Thanks for Reading!

For those that would like to encourage me to write more blog posts, such as this one, please make an optional, monetary donation to my PayPal account. Without those optional monetary donations, I just feel like giving up blogging. Thanks, again for reading and have a nice day!


Marcos "Kuya Marc" Miranda