Fixing the problems with the BBView and the latest Beaglebone Debian image.
So since the new Debian update for the Beaglebone some problems have surfaced with using the BBView. Here I hope to help people fix those errors and get full use of their BBView.
Not many steps, and it is very easy to do.
1. Firstly we need to download the newest Debian Image from Here →http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
Make sure you download the latest SD image (to boot from SD) or the flasher image (to reflash the EMMC with the new image)
2. Flash the image onto the SD card using your preferred means, dd command in linux / win32DiskImager in windows are my preferred means.
3. Connect a an HDMI screen and keyboard, or or a TTL serial cable to the Beaglebone. If using the TTL cable you will also need a computer running a serial terminal program (eg putty for windows)
4. Boot the Beaglebone Black from the new microSD card.
Insert the microSD card. Hold down the boot button (sw2) whilst inserting the power to boot from microSD.
This will either boot the board from the microSD, or flash the new image onto the EMMC if you are using the flasher (This could take a while if using the flasher image)
5. When the board is booted, login using the username:root and password:debian
6. Now we need to change a few of the files to get the BBView to work
In the terminal type....
root@beaglebone:~# mkdir /media/udisk root@beaglebone:~# mount /dev/sda1 /media/udisk root@beaglebone:~# cp -f /media/udisk/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.13-bone70 root@beaglebone:~# cp -f /media/udisk/*.dtb /boot/dtbs/3.8.13-bone70 root@beaglebone:~# tar -xvf /media/udisk/kernel_modules.tar.gz -C / root@beaglebone:~# cp -f /media/udisk/xorg.conf /etc/X11/ root@beaglebone:~# sync
FOR 4 INCH DISPLAYS TYPE THIS
root@beaglebone:~# cd /boot/dtbs/3.8.13-bone70 root@beaglebone:~# cp am335x-boneblack-lcd4.dtb am335x-boneblack.dtb root@beaglebone:~# sync
FOR 7 INCH DISPLAYS TYPE THIS
root@beaglebone:~# cd /boot/dtbs/3.8.13-bone70 root@beaglebone:~# cp am335x-boneblack-lcd7.dtb am335x-boneblack.dtb root@beaglebone:~# sync
7. Now shutdown your board. Connect your BBView and power it back up again, remembering to hold the boot button (SW2) to boot from microSD card if you did not use the flasher image.
Your BBView should now work as a screen for your Beaglebone Black. Have fun.