1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 4:12 PM by jbeale RSS

Raspberry Pi Map!

Ryan Walmsley

A couple of days ago I decided to make an map to show where Raspberry Pis were, the project is now complete

The map so far has got 66 Pis (From the time of this post) and is constantly growing!

You can add your pi @ http://rastrack.ryanteck.org.uk, I have checked with the foundation about the map and they say it is fully ok.

I hope to see you add your pis!

- Ryan

• 1. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    wallarug

Add one in Sydney NSW Australia.

• 2. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Ryan Walmsley

To add one you can click the link at the top that says "Click here to add your pi"

It will then let you fill it out to add your pi

The idea is that people register their pis when they get them so people then know where the Pis are

• 3. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    wallarug

Registered on your website but can't find the MAP!  Great idea!

• 4. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    morgaine

Beware the privacy issue there, as it can pinpoint your location on the street.

• 5. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Fossks

I know it's not a complete picture but it's clear that there is a real uneven distribution. Though for the longest of time, they were the center of the known world. ;)

• 6. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Ryan Walmsley

It only shows what you put in, if you don't want to say your exact location you can put your town, postcode or just country.

I just put in my postcode instead of my full address and it shows down the road from me.

• 7. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Ryan Walmsley

Im not sure how you can't find the map?

Are you able to email me a screenshot of what you see when you go to the first page? (Ryanteck@gmail.com)

Also thanks for all of the replys

• 8. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    pjc123

In my case the map shows up in Firefox 12.0 and Google Chrome 19.0.1084.46m, but in Explorer 9.0.8112.16421 there is no map (just the background with diagonal black and gray stripes).

• 9. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Ryan Walmsley

I'l have to check in internet explorer (It has always been known to never work with HTML5 or Javascript well)

It also just got posted on the officall website

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1298

• 10. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    morgaine

Ryan: If you only use the location data that people supply, that's good to hear.

If you were geolocating their IP address as well, that could have privacy implications if their ISP PoP is more specific than what they want to reveal, which may only be their county or state or country or continent.  In any case, geolocating would make no sense, since they might be registering from a Starbucks or other wifi site.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing and putting the user in control of their own data, well done.  Keep it so.

Btw, where does the raspberry marker appear on the street map, if a user supplies only the county or state?

Morgaine.

• 11. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Ryan Walmsley

I did originally look at using geolocation via HTML5 but changed my mind,

If they only supply the county or state then the marker will go to where google believes the centre for that is.

• 12. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    morgaine

Ryan Walmsley wrote:

If they only supply the county or state then the marker will go

to where google believes the centre for that is.

Haha.  That's worth testing out, we'll probably get a good chuckle out of Google's concept of centres.

Ryan Walmsley wrote:

Im not sure how you can't find the map?

Some people may not be able to see the map because of all the Javascript involved, a very common issue for those trying to improve their security and privacy.. In Firefox, NoScript shows 4 or 5 Javascript URLs being required and Ghostery shows 1 tracker being used.

The diagonal black and gray stripes definitely appear when Javascript is partially or wholly blocked.

Morgaine.

• 13. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!
    Nate1616

Very nice Ryan!  I dont want to badmouth microsoft but internet explorer is junk.

• 14. Re: Raspberry Pi Map!

Ryan,

Perhaps there should be additional maps (or additional colors)  to indicate

customers who have a scheduled ship date but have not received it yet;

and customers who have ordered but don't have a scheduled ship date yet;

and customers who have expressed an interest, but haven't ordered yet.

If customers supply their order numbers, element14 could perhaps fill in the

scheduled ship dates where missing.

1 2 3 Previous Next