4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2012 6:23 PM by wallarug RSS

Raspberry Pi HDMI problem

skets80 New Members

Hi , I cant run the Pi through the hdmi port, It worked a couple of times but since then I have bought new leads a re-flashed the sd card.

any advice anyone is able to give me would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI problem
    John Beetem Level 15

A good place to start for any problem is the RasPi Wiki Troubleshooting page.

If you downloaded a different image from before, the new image may have different requiremens for config.txt, or something regressed between versions.

Since you changed leads, I recommend checking for power supply problems.  If you replaced the Micro USB cable, it may be that the new cable has a higher voltage drop.  Check that TP1-TP2 is in the correct range (there's information on this at the Troubleshooting page, which also points to useful information on the RasPi Wiki Hardware page).  On my RasPi, my DVI-D monitor blanks out if TP1-TP2 goes too low.

• 2. Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI problem
    wallarug Level 15

Read my posts on: http://www.element14.com/community/thread/18205?tstart=0 This fixed my problem and might fix yours.

All fixed (audio + resolution)

Instuctions for others who may be experiencing the same issue with a TV and the Raspberry Pi:

1. Install a fresh image (optional)

2. start-up the Raspberry Pi and let it set itself up (normal set-up) - only on first boot

3. After you have gone through normal set-up:

a. Log-in as a normal user (debian image: pi)

b. Type the command: "sudo nano /boot/config.txt "

c. Press enter

d. Type in: "hdmi_drive=2 " [exactly as it is here]

e. Then press crtl + o

f. Press Enter

g. then press crtl + x

4. Restart using the command: " sudo shutdown -r now "

That gets the Raspberry Pi to register the TV as a HDMI device. You now have sound! For different resolution:

5. After you have gone through normal set-up:

a. Log-in as a normal user (debian image: pi)

b. Type the command: "sudo nano /boot/config.txt "

c. Press enter

d. Type in: "hdmi_group=1 " [exactly as it is here]

Press Enter

Type : "hdmi_mode=x " where x = corresponding number of resolution mode. See: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5851

e. Then press crtl + o

f. Press Enter

g. then press crtl + x

6. Restart using the command: " sudo shutdown -r now "

Now you have desired resolution and Sound!!!

Happy Raspberry Pi...ing

• 3. Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI problem
    BubbaG New Members

That fixed my issue - Thanks!  I'm surprised it's not marked as a correct answer.

I was almost going to ship the PI back because I bought it for the HDMI!  I guess we'll have to keep an old composite video monitor around a bit longer...

• 4. Re: Raspberry Pi HDMI problem
    wallarug Level 15

It should be marked as the correct answer.  maybe this is a new person who doesn't know who to make correct.