1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 8:15 PM by morgaine RSS

Open Source Hardware panel discussion

Drew Fustini PremierFarnell

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Open Source Hardware panel discussion at DESIGN West:

Open Source Hardware Panel Discussion

Session Code:  ET-01

Date:  Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Time:  12:00 PM - 12:45 PM

Track:   Expo Theater

Are you interested in learning more about open source hardware, but skeptical that it has a place in the professional engineering world? The reality is that more and more engineers are discovering that OSHW can be an essential tool for quick prototyping, characterizing and testing peripherals, and beyond. Hear from some of the OSHW movement's leading personalities on where their products are being applied in the professional design world today and where it's all  heading.

The panel is in the Expo Theater which is open to all with Expo passes.  You can still register for a free expo pass

The panel includes:

I noticed that EDN recently posted an interview with Chris Taylor titled: Community key to open-source hardware

I'm really looking forward to hearing the panelists' opinions on Open Source Hardware!  Anyone else here planning to attend the event?

Cheers,

Drew

• 1. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    John Beetem Level 15

Hi Drew,

Yes, I'm planning to attend Design West and that event.  As I had commented in this thread, I'm hoping it devolves into a Pi fight about whether RasPi is Open Source Hardware (oh yeah? Let's see the Gerbers!  Tell me where I can get a BCM2835 in small quantities -- with a full tech ref!) and whether Open Source Hardware is a Good Idea (oh yeah? If OSH is so great, how come RasPi has sold 1M in one year and BBs have only sold 100K in 4.5?  huh?  huh?)

Maybe some evil person in the audience will ask embarassing questions about whether a product based on closed documentation can be truly Open Source Hardware.  Come to think of it, this is my post #666 so maybe I should be the mischief-maker bwa hah hah hah hah

Hope to see you there!  I look vaguely like my avatar.

• 2. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    brooxl Level 1

I'm interested in attending the OSH panel discussion to learn more about the OSH world in general.  I have a background working with industry consortium groups to help define, implement, and evolve common industry hardware platform and interface specifications such as the various embedded computing formfactors and interfaces under PCI Industrial Computer Manufacturers Group (PICMG).  So, I'm curious to learn about what exactly constitutes Open Source Hardware;  are there any consortiums or community groups acting to provide common interoperability specs so that users can effectively design to meet 'plug & play' expectations of customers;  is expectation of interoperability only going to be reliable among hardware from the same vendor;  are there any efforts under way to help assure customers of compatibility?  What OSH platforms are out there and which ones are stable and popular?  Which ones are likely to soon fade away?  I recall SunMicrosystems launched the SunSPOT OSH platform for embedded Java development; does OSH for embedded Java appear dead?   ...etc...

• 3. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    John Beetem Level 15

Wikipedia has a good introduction to Open-Source Hardware, with lots of links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware

From what I've read, OSH doesn't address interoperability per se.  It's more about applying the many advantages of Open-Source Software (especially free-as-in-liberty software) to the hardware world, so that (for example) if a hardware design doesn't interoperate you are free to modify the design so that it does, instead of being limited by the business priorities of the design's owner.

• 4. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion

Hi - there is the Open Source Hardware Association which was formed last year:

http://www.oshwa.org/

The Open Hardware Summit has been a pillar for the evolving Open Hardware / Open Source Hardware community.  The 4th annual summit will be help in September: http://2013.oshwa.org/

Here's a good write-up of last year: http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/10/open-hardware-summit-2012/

I think both OSHWA and the Summit would be good places to address issues of interoperability.  However, I think the most likely context for interoperability is design file formats and documentation rather that electrical or physical interconnection standards.  The upcoming Open Source Hardware Documentation Jam should progress these issues: http://www.opensourcewarehouse.org/

The only interconnect standard I can think of that is in the OSHW news right now is Rhombus-Tech's efforts to create EOMA-68 CPU cards: http://rhombus-tech.net/

Another article that may give you a better sense of the OSHW community: http://blog.makezine.com/2012/02/14/soapbox-the-unspoken-rules-of-open-source-hardware/

Finally, checkout our Open Source Hardware here on element14 Community.

cheers,

drew

• 5. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion

hi John, just saw the panel but didn't randomly find you. are ya at the show today? would enjoy meeting you. I had interesting conversation about bistream openness with xilinx vertex designer.

I'm 773 710 7131 or @pdp7 on twitter

• 6. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    John Beetem Level 15

Hi Drew,

I was there, but I didn't see you either.  All your pix seem to have sunglasses   Not very many bearded men there IIRC.

I'm planning to go back tomorrow (Wed 4/24) for a few hours -- I want to go to the free FPGA talks to get a pulse of what people are saying about them.  I'll give you a call around 9 AM PDT, or you can try calling me between 8AM and 9AM at 510-548-6456 (my parents' house).  I'm probably the only person at Design West with no cell phone

I'd like to hear what you heard from the Xilinx designer.

John

[Our apologies to anyone who is ticked off about our using this discussion for what ought to be PMs.]

• 7. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    morgaine Level 15

I'd love to read a followup from either or both of you, or anyone else who was at the DESIGN West event.

Drew Fustini wrote:

I had interesting conversation about bistream openness with xilinx vertex designer.

Anything that can be divulged?

• 8. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    John Beetem Level 15

Morgaine Dinova wrote:

I'd love to read a followup from either or both of you, or anyone else who was at the DESIGN West event.

Drew Fustini wrote:

I had interesting conversation about bistream openness with xilinx vertex designer.

Anything that can be divulged?

Shoot, I forgot to ask Drew about this when I finally was able to meet up with him at Design West.  Bummer. 

So Drew, is there anything you can divulge here, or do I have to take a trip to San Mateo? 

• 9. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion

Sadly, I'm now struggling to remember (it was information overload that week ).  I think the gist was that the format changes quickly from one product cycle to another so knowledge of the format at any particular point in time would quickly become out-dated.  I suppose the counter to that would be if it was always open then that wouldn't be a problem.  I'm not sure if I'm really repeating the thought very well though.  The engineer (Philip Freidin) is on Twitter though so you could give him a shout: https://twitter.com/PhilipFreidin.  I met him at Jeri Ellsworth's bring-a-hack post-maker-faire dinner last year and he's a fascinating guy (btw, if you are coming to Bay Area Maker Faire, then I'll get you the details for this year as they are worked out on twitter with jeri, et al)

• 10. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    morgaine Level 15

Drew Fustini wrote:

I met him at Jeri Ellsworth's bring-a-hack post-maker-faire dinner last year and he's a fascinating guy (btw, if you are coming to Bay Area Maker Faire, then I'll get you the details for this year as they are worked out on twitter with jeri, et al)

I miss Jeri, and was saddened to read about the layoffs at Valve.  She was truly inspiring a few years ago in her "FPGA phase" (even to old timers ), probably a lot more than she realizes.  I hope she finds the right place for herself in the world.

• 11. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion

What I learned from chatting with some friends is that she has gone out on her own with what she was working on at Valve.  And that she'll be unvieling it at Bay Area Maker Faire in couple weeks I like her attitude in this tweet: https://twitter.com/jeriellsworth/status/322291807373385729

My mood tonight " How come we're doing this? They said it couldn't be done. - That's the reason."

• 12. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    morgaine Level 15

Very intriguing.

• 13. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion
    lalder1 Level 2

My name is Larry Alder I am currently a student at Indiana State University. I am studying Automation and control, as well as IT, with a minor in CS. I love to program and experiment, I currently use arduino and raspberry pi love both of them. I also do a lot of .cpp, Plc, and other work with the school. I am constantly looking for ways to expand my knowledge. When I looked at the board that you were giving away I thought it would be a good opportunity. I have not worked with such a developed board except for at school we have a lot of nice stuff there, but I don't have a lot of money for home stock therefor I have to keep my projects cheep. So to recap student looking for a a good development platform to expand knowledge. I am very pleased with your interest in me I feel very Lucy to have attended Design West and can't believe that it led to the opportunity to network with you. Have a nice day, and good decision making. Also I can pay for the shipping, just a side note.

Thank you,

Larry Alder

• 14. Re: Open Source Hardware panel discussion

random.org picked you as the winner for the renesas board.  i've sent you a contact request so we can Private Message (PM).  aside from the Renesas board, I would recommend the BeagleBone Black or Olimex OLinuXino as they are both great Open Source Hardware single board computers for running Linux or Android. 

One of my frustration with the Pi is its limited GPIO (2x16).  Both the previously mentioned boards have enough GPIO pins to be able to interface with a parallel color LCD touchscreens (which are cheaper than small HDMI displays I've found).

update: Oh and since you mentioned Arduino and Pi, I highly recommend the Adafruit Learning System: http://learn.adafruit.com/

1 2 Previous Next