New Insights into Raspberry Pi Market Emerge from Premier Farnell User Survey
Price and Ease of Use are the key reasons why makers and professional engineers choose the Raspberry Pi
Premier Farnell, the Development Distributor, has released new insights from its global user survey into the market for the Raspberry Pi single-board computer, revealing why and how both professionals and makers use the Raspberry Pi.
The research highlights the widespread use of the Raspberry Pi by professional engineers in prototyping and proof-of-concept applications, particularly for IoT, industrial automation and control applications as well as its popularity with makers. It also provides valuable insights into the high proportion of users that take advantage of the Raspberry Pi add-on HAT devices, which open up a myriad of new applications without the need to develop custom hardware.
Some key insights from the Raspberry Pi survey include:
- One third of respondents confirmed that they are using Raspberry Pi for personal projects and more than one third of the engineers are using the Raspberry Pi for proof of concept and prototyping. Other uses include Test rigs/testing systems and production.
- 34% of makers are using Raspberry Pi exclusively in their personal projects.
- Makers said that the main reason they use Raspberry Pi is because of its price, closely followed by the performance and familiarity with the product. Professional engineers care about ease of use more than any other factor when deciding to use the Raspberry Pi.
- Makers declared the Pi camera and touchscreen their favourite accessories.
- Professional engineers are primarily using the Raspberry Pi for Internet of Things applications closely followed by Industrial Automation & Control. Other notable applications include robotics, display and consumer applications.
“This research clearly illustrates the versatility of the Raspberry Pi” said Hari Kalyanaraman, Global Head of Single Board Computers for Premier Farnell. “The success of Raspberry Pi began with the maker community. A powerful combination of feature set, low cost and a large and active user base has quickly made the Raspberry Pi an attractive platform for engineers looking to develop and deploy a broad range of applications. This survey strongly confirms the widespread adoption of Raspberry Pi by engineers in commercial and industrial environments.”
In celebration of Pi Day, on 14th March, Farnell is also offering a 10% discount on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ & Starter kit from 00:00 on 14th March until 23:59 on 31st March. To access 10% discount, customer should visit Farnell in EMEA, Newark in North America and element14 in APAC and use the code PIDAY10 at checkout.
Premier Farnell is a global technology leader with over 80 years in the high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. Premier Farnell uses this experience to support its broad customer base, from hobbyists to engineers, maintenance engineers and buyers as ‘The Development Distributor’, working with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, and supporting the industry as it seeks to develop the current and next generation of engineers.
Premier Farnell is a business unit of Avnet (Nasdaq: AVT). Premier Farnell trades as Farnell element14 in Europe, Newark element14 in North America, and element14 throughout Asia Pacific. The Premier Farnell Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and has an extensive inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet the needs of innovative customers everywhere. Premier Farnell sells direct to consumers through a network of resellers, and its CPC business in the UK.
For more information, visit the website at http://www.premierfarnell.com