Newark element14 presents Opto 22’s groov EPIC: the world’s first Edge Programmable Industrial Controller
New system makes the future of automation a reality today
Newark element14, the Development Distributor, is enabling customers to bring the future of automation to their projects today, with availability of Opto 22’s groov EPIC, a groundbreaking new industrial system that addresses the needs of automation engineers and developers solving challenging automation and industrial internet of things (IIoT) problems in today’s fast-moving, data-centric environment.
The new groov EPIC® system helps solve the challenges of current IIoT solutions which have multiple moving parts, are expensive to build, difficult to troubleshoot and require multi-domain expertise. The systems combines I/O, control, data processing, and visualization into one secure, maintainable, edge-of-network industrial system, letting engineers and developers focus on delivering value, rather than triaging loosely connected components.
groov EPIC offers field-proven industrial hardware design with a modern software ensemble, to produce the results that visionary engineers want today, making it possible to connect legacy systems, control processes and automate machines, subscribe to web services and create mashups, acquire and publish data, visualize that data wherever it is needed, and mobilize operators.
Danny Weiss, Senior Product Manager from Newark element14 added; “As the Development Distributor, we aim to provide our customers with access to the latest technologies that enable them to focus on what is important. The Opto22 groov EPIC is exactly that type of device, helping engineers deliver more for their businesses as they focus on adding additional value, whilst the system delivers security and performance with little reliance on IT personnel.”
“groov EPIC creates a new category of IIoT solutions as an Edge Programmable Industrial Controller,” says Bob Sheffres, Opto 22 vice president. “It’s the first device of its kind to be stocked by Newark element14 and ready for shipment. Along with Newark element14’s great customer service and support, you’ll find all the groov EPIC products and technical specifications available on their website.”
Features of the new system include:
- Industrial modular intelligent I/O, real-time Linux-based automation controller, and edge
- gateway in a single stainless-steel chassis
- UL Hazardous Locations approved and ATEX compliant
- Integrated high-resolution color touchscreen with HDMI output for optional external monitor
- Compact footprint with integrated power supply and dead-front design
- On-board system configuration, commissioning, and troubleshooting; no PC required
- Remote configuration and troubleshooting from any web browser on any device
- Dual, independent Gigabit Ethernet network interfaces
- Dual USB ports for serial communications, touchscreen monitors, or WiFi adapters4
- Multiple power supply options including AC, DC, and pass-through
- Wide -20 to 70 °C operating temperature range
- Touch-sensitive pad on I/O modules for configuring, commissioning, and testing
- Spring-clamp terminal strip directly atop I/O module accommodating up to 14 AWG wire
- LED indicators for module health at a glance, and for individual discrete channels
- I/O module density of up to 24 channels per module
- Multi-featured analog inputs supporting voltage, current, and loop sourcing in single module
- Analog input resolution of 20 bits at 0.1% accuracy over span
- Channel-to-channel isolation available for most I/O modules
- Real-time, open-source Linux OS running on an industrial quad-core ARM® processor
- 2 GB RAM, 6 GB user space on industrial solid-state drive
Software features include:
- groov Manage software for tool-less configuration, commissioning, and debugging on-board and from anywhere on the network
- PAC Control flowchart-based control development environment w/ scripting and visual debugger
- groov View visualization server for creating and viewing HMIs, trends, and events for any
- mobile device or web browser; also viewable locally on integral touchscreen
- Node-RED flow-based development environment and runtime for edge data processing,
- handling, and communications
- Ignition Edge® from Inductive Automation® with drivers to Allen-Bradley®, Siemens®, and more
- MQTT/Sparkplug protocol for efficient, industrial publish/subscribe communications
- 100% backward compatible with SNAP PAC systems and SNAP Ethernet I/O
- Available secure shell access, SDKs, and cross-compiler for custom user-written applications
The Opto 22 groov EPIC is available from Newark element14 in North America.
Premier Farnell is a global technology leader with over 80 years in the high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. Premier Farnell uses this experience to support its broad customer base, from hobbyists to engineers, maintenance engineers and buyers as ‘The Development Distributor’, working with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, and supporting the industry as it seeks to develop the current and next generation of engineers.
Premier Farnell is a business unit of Avnet (Nasdaq: AVT). Premier Farnell trades as Farnell element14 in Europe, Newark element14 in North America, and element14 throughout Asia Pacific. The Premier Farnell Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and has an extensive inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet the needs of innovative customers everywhere. Premier Farnell sells direct to consumers through a network of resellers, and its CPC business in the UK.
For more information, visit the website at http://www.premierfarnell.com