Premier Farnell Announces Launch of Ground-breaking Raspberry Pi 4 Computer
Raspberry Pi’s new more-powerful model is three times faster and offers greater memory capacity, with improved interface and connectivity, to extend capabilities for all users
Premier Farnell, the Development Distributor, today announced the launch of the new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer, the most powerful Raspberry Pi model ever made. The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer offers significant enhancements in processor speed, multimedia performance, memory and connectivity that will make it attractive to general desktop computer users, hobbyist and makers, and professional developers working with compute-intensive embedded applications such as computer vision and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
“The new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer provides our customers with a faster, more powerful and more feature-rich single board computer than ever before. This board delivers a real jump in capabilities and addresses the needs of the growing market for Raspberry Pi – from makers to professional design engineers, to consumers looking for a desktop computer. This truly is a Raspberry Pi for everyone,” says Hari Kalyanaraman, Global Head of Single Board Computers at Premier Farnell.
“Our research has highlighted the widespread use of Raspberry Pi products by professional engineers in both prototyping and commercial production; across a wide range of applications from IoT, AI, and industrial automation and control, to predictive maintenance. With more memory options, true Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 and increased processor performance, all at an attractive price, the new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is well positioned to accelerate its adoption for industrial applications.”
According to Raspberry Pi Trading Chief Executive Eben Upton, the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer is the most powerful Raspberry Pi ever made. “The extra power and range of memory options support the needs of professional design engineers. AI and machine learning data can be processed right on the board, reducing the need to send data to the cloud and addressing real-world concerns about privacy. And of course Raspberry Pi 4 Model B can be used as a desktop computer, with a powerful processor, multimedia acceleration and dual-display support.”
The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer is the first model to use a 28nm SoC, delivering a significant increase in performance and energy efficiency.
- Processor: A quad-core ARM Cortex-A72 64-bit processor clocked at 1.5GHz enables the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B to run up to three times faster than its predecessor.
- Video and Sound: Two micro HDMI ports support dual-display output at resolutions up to 4K.
- New SuperSpeed USB 3.0 delivers faster transfer rates to mass-storage devices (up to 5 Gbps).
- True Gigabit Ethernet connectivity delivers network data rates of up to 1 Gbps.
- Dual-band wireless networking at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz delivers real-world data rates in excess of 100 Mbps. Modular compliance certification allows the board to be designed into end products with significantly reduced compliance testing, improving both cost and time to market.
Other features include:
- Memory: 1GB, 2GB and 4GB LPDDR4 memory options.
- Multimedia: H.265 decode (4kp60), H.264 decode (1080p60) and H.264 encode (1080p30); OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics; image sensor pipeline.
- GPIO: Standard 40-pin GPIO header with full backward compatibility, and additional multiplexed UART, I2C and SPI peripherals.
- SD card support: Micro SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage.
- Power over Ethernet: PoE support, using separate HAT accessory.
“Makers can supercharge their projects with greater processing power and several memory options, alongside the same usability and support they are familiar with from earlier versions. It’s the best Raspberry Pi Computer we’ve ever made and we are excited to build upon our strong relationship with Premier Farnell with this launch,” added Upton.
Premier Farnell is the largest manufacturer and distributor of the Raspberry Pi, and has championed its use with both professional design engineers and makers through the element14 community. “We expect that experienced Raspberry Pi users and novices alike will be excited about what the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer can do,” said Kalyanaraman.
“As a desktop computer, the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer provides performance comparable to entry-level x86 PC systems, with an exceptional video and multimedia experience, and is capable of quickly downloading and running 3D games. Users can purchase the entry-level 1GB model for $35, but will see improved performance in memory-intensive applications such as web browsing from the $45 2GB and $55 4GB models.”
The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer will remain in production until at least January 2026. Also available alongside the Raspberry Pi 4 Computer is a brand-new case and a range of accessories including power supplies and micro HDMI cables.
Notes for editors
We will be adding more resources and content to the newsroom in the coming days including exclusive infographic and timeline of boards. Please come back to access more imagery and resources as you need them.
- Datasheet - this is available to download from the download module on the left.
- Imagery - including product images, thermal images, animated gif - download below
- Infographics - infographic of key Raspberry Pi event, Timeline of Raspberry Pi boards since launch - download from the download module on the left
- Videos - interview with Eben Upton & Technical spec video available for download below.
- Content from the element14 community - Frequently asked questions, Benchmarking tests, Raspberry Pi Comparison charts, information on Roadtests for the Raspberry Pi 4 and the element14 community Raspberry Pi Quiz - More info below.
If you cannot find what you are looking for please contact us and we will get it sent to you.
Premier Farnell is a global technology leader with over 80 years in the high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. Premier Farnell uses this experience to support its broad customer base, from hobbyists to engineers, maintenance engineers and buyers as ‘The Development Distributor’, working with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, and supporting the industry as it seeks to develop the current and next generation of engineers.
Premier Farnell is a business unit of Avnet (Nasdaq: AVT). Premier Farnell trades as Farnell in Europe, Newark in North America, and element14 throughout Asia Pacific. The Premier Farnell Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and has an extensive inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet the needs of innovative customers everywhere. Premier Farnell sells direct to consumers through a network of resellers, and its CPC business in the UK.
For more information, visit the website at http://www.premierfarnell.com
INTERVIEW WITH EBEN UPTON
TECHNICAL SPEC VIDEOS
CONTENT FROM THE ELEMENT14 COMMUNITY
In a special episode of element14 presents hosted by DJ Harrigan, Matt Eargle and the community's own Phil Hutchinson, the team discuss the the new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B computer.
Benchmarking the Raspberry Pi 4 Computer
The element14 team has put the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B through its paces by benchmarking the new and faster Processor, we pushed the networking to its gigabit limit and even took some cool thermal images. See how the new Raspberry Pi performs under pressure.
Raspberry Pi GPIO
The new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B has the standard 40 Pin GPIO socket for connecting sensors and peripherals. The element14 community team have mapped out the 4 new alternative Pin MUX options for the new Raspberry Pi. See what connects where in our GPIO pin diagram.
Link to GPIO Pinout Diagram https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-92640/l/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-default-gpio-pinout-with-poe-header
Raspberry Pi Road Test
The element14 Community team have 20 boards up for grabs in our RoadTest Program. We want you and community members to put the board through its paces and give it an in depth review. In exchange for an in depth review you get to keep the most sought after SBCs on the market.
Getting started with the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Computer
Phil Hutchinson from the element14 community has taken the new Raspberry Pi 4 Model B into the lab to show you how to get started. If you use this video please link back to the community. Screen grabs are attached.
Please download regionally branded infographics in PDF from the download section on the left hand side.
The greatest slices of Pi infographic is available branded for Europe (English and German), North America and APAC.
The history of Pi boards infographic is branded for global use and available for download from the downloads module on the left.