Skip navigation


3 Posts authored by: booglybob



Massive thank you to Mr Peter Oakes. I'm pretty certain we all owe him a massive thank you for his sportsmanship in this competition. If it wasn't for him i would never have completed this roadtest at all and so I am extremely grateful and honoured.


Now, although I did state that my microphone situation wasn't exactly going to plan, I instead took Peter's advice to use my phone(or any other mp3 device) to play music that I would then hook up to the analog input of the arduino. After realising that cutting up a pair if earphones was harder than I thought, I decided that it would be much easier to hook up some wires to an aux cable...and it worked!


I then set about using this input to control the led strip. Thankfully I had the Infineon library handy and so cooked up a couple of if else statements to check an average volatage out of every 100.


Now in terms of review...


I have no real negatives about the arduinos. They've proven to be extremely useful and versatile time and time again, and are extremely resilient so even newbies will find it hard to break them(I found that out after putting 5v through my yun...). However i do have a bone or two to pick with the shield.


First of all, what's up with the lack of pins! This may not be such a big problem but the fact that i had to buy my own arduino pins off of ebay set my project back by possibly weeks, and to be honest it will hardly affect the cost of the board itself. I'm not too fussed about them not being soldered on, it can just be a pain to find them.


Secondly, as many of you know, there are very little "Hello World" programs out there for this shield(before this roadtest anyways). I would really like to see at least some guidance or simple examples on Infineons website as if it wasn't for the Infineon library this project would have been a lot more complicated for everyone.


Thank you for this amazing oppurtunity, and your time, and I will (hopefully) see you all soon!


Jack Franklin

Disaster has struck!


Over the weekend I received my Adafruit Electret Microphone. I eagerly soldered the included pins onto the board and set about testing it with the arduino's analog inputs. However, there seems to be no actual output. I looked on adafruit's website and found their example code but I was still unsuccessful:


serial output.png

As you can see from the image, the output is always constant. I've tried making sounds near the microphone, an arms length away and even tapped the damn thing and still nothing!


This unfortunately means that it is highly unlikely that my project, or at least desired plan, will be finished by the deadline. I will still try to make some form of useful project, by creating an app on my phone, but without any working microphone the project simply won't be finished. I apologise severely to all of the community, as I feel I have let you down and wasted the time of some very kind people.


On the (slightly) brighter side of things, I will still continue this project after the deadline! I believe that without the pressure of a deadline i will be able to solve my problems with the microphone and finally get this working. I will still produce a review of the components and a final blog on the app.


Thank you dearly for all your time,


Jack Franklin


Ladies and gentlemen, engineers and hobbyists, welcome one and all to my first ever IoT project!


As you can probably guess, I am one of the lucky roadtesters for the Infineon RGB shield. Now this blog has been a long time coming, and I sincerely apologize for this delay, however unlike some other roadtesters this is my first ever electronics project(from home anyway) and so I was slightly unprepared. So I decided that it would be best to wait until I had pretty much everything that I needed for this project before blogging about it so that the blogs could be consistent and evenly spaced out but hey, better late than never as they say!


Now enough of the boring stuff, let's get down to business! So as you can probably see from my tag, I am going to create an interactive Christmas tree, which will be able to change it's lighting according to the mood of the room."How on earth will you find the 'mood' of a room?" I hear you cry! Well to be honest I'm not entirely sure however the plan is to use a small microphone(which will be hung from the Christmas tree itself) to listen to the sound in the room. The arduino yun will then change the colour, intensity and possibly even mode of the RGB strip according to what it hears. For example, if there is little noise the LEDs may be a dim red which will fade in and out, however if there is a lot of loud, high pitched noises the LEDs may be a bright flashing blue.


In terms of layout and setup etc., I will have the yun attached to the microphone, deciding on the mood of the room and then telling that to the uno which will control the Infineon board. Although i could possibly have this the other way round, I decided to use the yun to process the data as I also plan to possibly create an app for my phone using the android sdk which will allow me to change things like modes or intensity over wifi. My original thoughts were to connect the yun and arduino via usb, however this can produce some problems, such as the uno drawing power from the yun, and the fact that it looks extremely complicated! I will update you all on my final decision in my next blog.


Below is a picture showing all of the connections between the devices I will be using. It isn't too detailed, but it helps to show what on earth I'm rambling on about.



Join me again this time next week(hopefully) for my second blog, where i will working with the yun to turn the microphones outputs into moods and then send that to the uno.

Filter Blog

By date: By tag: