Skip navigation
Thanks to all the competitors in the Adafruit + element14 FLORA "Get Closer" Challenge! It was an absolute pleasure to watch the journeys of eight wearables projects in the e14 Arduino community. We had to name a winner, but we couldn't decide on just one. The TWO winning projects are Leslie Birch's FLORAbrella and Linda Kaspers' ColorCam! Each will receive a wearable electronics project handmade by me, and element14 has provided an Arduino Robot, which has been randomly selected to be awarded ...
Here is my final blog post in the element14/Adafruit "Get Closer" Wearables Challenge....   Let's wrap things up with a video!   I really can't thank element14 and Adafruit enough for including me in this amazing experience - I'll never forget it!   FLORA is a great product, I can definitely imagine embedding it in other projects. I am also anxious to try out GEMMA, an even lower profile microcontrollers that Adafruit just introduced.   I feel that I achieved a fair num ...
Wow, it has been quite a project.  From my beginning research of unique umbrellas, to wiring individually addressable LED Neopixel strips and facing 3D printing – I’ve just learned so much.  Adafruit’s Forum has been outstanding, along with the support I’ve received from the Element 14 folks.  Anyway, I was going to shoot my video last night, but yesterday my dog had to have a sudden operation to remove a cancerous tumor.  This is Lucci, the amazing It ...
I was really hoping that I would have cracked on with the jacket this week in the evenings after work. I even missed roller skating on Tuesday night and rushed back from ice skating on Wednesday, but unfortunately due to issues arising at work meant that I didn't have the time I really wanted to commit to getting it done, due to staying on late to try to resolve the issues. It's just been typical that this week has correlated to tricky faults both at work and home, now luckily work seems to be ...
This is it! My final post This is were you get to see my ColorCam and this nifty video I made.   First of all I would like to take the opportunity to thank Element14 and Adafruit for selecting me for this challenge. It was one bumpy, but instructive ride!   Also a big warm thanks for my boyfriend Victor Sluiter, who has helped me so much along the way. I can honestly say I wouldn't have been able to do this without him! So, thanks honey!   So here is my video, I hope you al ...
linkaspers

Flora ColorCam:

Posted by linkaspers Oct 4, 2013
Before I publish my last post I wanted to review a few things about the project as a whole.   First I made a video to show you how I attached the conductive fabric buttons to my project. I did this a bit different from the ways shown in the Adafruit tutorials, since I needed the whole to be quite sturdy.     I threw myself in this project with enormous enthusiasm. I thought it would be soo much fun making the kiddiecam I saw in my head. As it turns out, it was a lot of fu ...
So only two more things need to do today. I need to write my final post containing a video of the ColorCam, and I want to show my newest adition to this project.   When we were experimenting with the colorsensor we quickly found out that a large, bright colored surface works better than a small surface. So I decided to make some large objects that a kid could use with his ColorCam. At first I made them out of paper, but that didn't seem right. Kids and paper, it usually becomes a mess pre ...
Here was the drawing we included in our initial bid.     And we kind of got there but time ran out on us.  The failures just kept multiplying yesterday after we tried to take a video of them in action.  Here is a pic from yesterday.      Cute, but no effects were working because a button on Ellison's suit failed.    The problems continued into today when I accidently killed the arduino controlling her costume.  At that point Ellison and ...
Jeej! I finished my entire project today And I'm pretty happy with the result too! Last night we finally finished the colorissues as well as the conductive fabric buttons and we could put the whole camera together. Yesterday I showed you a picture of the inside of the camera as it was then. Here's a picture off what it looks like now: In the end we used the CapacitiveSensor library to get the conductive fabric buttons going. CapPin library looks very nice, but doesn't work on battery power ...
I decided to call this chapter circuit wizardry because it  takes magic and a little luck to make it happen.  The LED strips have three copper pads on the end, yet I needed to mount five wires on each one so I could keep the majority of the wiring close to the hub and out of sight.  So, that would be two wires attached to the ground, two wires for power and one for the communication line for each strip.  That's a lot of wires!  I finally had to take my whole project to m ...
The competition is almost over and as always, there are still things to do! Not all of them necessary, but all are great fun!   The assembling of the ColorCam is what's first on the list. The foam I used for the interior of the camera is perfect. It holds everything together nicely and it makes the camera very soft. I cut away a lot of foam to make room for the Flora, the pixels, on/off-button, shutterbutton, batterypack, colorsensor and some wires. Thank to Victors solderingskills, thi ...
hifromkatie

Jacket Progress

Posted by hifromkatie Oct 1, 2013
Everything is now sewn on to the jacket:       I've carried out an LED test to check that I'm ok powering from  3.3V and it seems that everything is ok, so that's saved routing another power line down the length of my arm.     A quick overview of what's on the jacket and what it's for:   The FLORA:                          Main process ...