Skip navigation
This is it! My final post This is were you get to see my ColorCam and this nifty video I made.   First of all I would like to take the opportunity to thank Element14 and Adafruit for selecting me for this challenge. It was one bumpy, but instructive ride!   Also a big warm thanks for my boyfriend Victor Sluiter, who has helped me so much along the way. I can honestly say I wouldn't have been able to do this without him! So, thanks honey!   So here is my video, I hope you al ...
linkaspers

Flora ColorCam:

Posted by linkaspers Oct 4, 2013
Before I publish my last post I wanted to review a few things about the project as a whole.   First I made a video to show you how I attached the conductive fabric buttons to my project. I did this a bit different from the ways shown in the Adafruit tutorials, since I needed the whole to be quite sturdy.     I threw myself in this project with enormous enthusiasm. I thought it would be soo much fun making the kiddiecam I saw in my head. As it turns out, it was a lot of fu ...
So only two more things need to do today. I need to write my final post containing a video of the ColorCam, and I want to show my newest adition to this project.   When we were experimenting with the colorsensor we quickly found out that a large, bright colored surface works better than a small surface. So I decided to make some large objects that a kid could use with his ColorCam. At first I made them out of paper, but that didn't seem right. Kids and paper, it usually becomes a mess pre ...
Jeej! I finished my entire project today And I'm pretty happy with the result too! Last night we finally finished the colorissues as well as the conductive fabric buttons and we could put the whole camera together. Yesterday I showed you a picture of the inside of the camera as it was then. Here's a picture off what it looks like now: In the end we used the CapacitiveSensor library to get the conductive fabric buttons going. CapPin library looks very nice, but doesn't work on battery power ...
The competition is almost over and as always, there are still things to do! Not all of them necessary, but all are great fun!   The assembling of the ColorCam is what's first on the list. The foam I used for the interior of the camera is perfect. It holds everything together nicely and it makes the camera very soft. I cut away a lot of foam to make room for the Flora, the pixels, on/off-button, shutterbutton, batterypack, colorsensor and some wires. Thank to Victors solderingskills, thi ...
  My boyfriend Victor showed me this cartoon once and I thought it was funny, but I didn't quite get it. Last week, when he was listening to me trying to program my Flora for a few hours in a row, he showed it again. This time I got it. This is exactly how it works! Although the Hurray!!!!-part doesn't last for ten minutes.. And the depressing-puzzle-part lasts for about two hours.. Frustrating! And the weirdest part is: I'm still having fun!   Struggling with colors I made quite som ...
Hi everyone, so sorry it took me so long to get another blogpost online. But you'll be hearing (or rather, reading) from me today and later this week! I have to start this post with some sad news, because I have a suspicion that my Floraboard is not functioning as it should. I can upload my program to the board and so long as I keep the Arduino IDE running, the program works just fine. But once I unplug the Flora, shut down the IDE, and plug the Flora back in, the program I just uploaded is gon ...
Holidays are over! So I finally have the time to work on my ColorCam again! I was getting kinda tired of having to set up my circuit with the alligatorclips over and over again. So I took some time to sew all my pieces to a bit of fabric. This saves me a lot of time setting up, and it gives me a nice prototype to work with!     As of yesterday I also have a working Flora board. I had some trouble getting the Flora to update my code, I kept getting these errors. A small chip on the ...
I spent last week camping with my 5-year old. I didn't take my laptop with me, but I did take some stuff to make the camera I had in mind for my project This is how my work-/sewingstation looked like! An herd of sheep standing on the other side of the water kept looking at me and loudly commenting on the progress.. BAAH!   Since my camera has to be suitable for small children, I decided to make it nice and soft. So the interior is made out of two pieces of foam. I cut out a few holes ...
Today the Flora kit came in! All kinds of sensors, wires and of course the Flora itself came out of a black cardboard box (check Leslie's or Bill's unboxing videos to see exactly what was in the box). So as soon as my son was sleeping, I set to work   I have to point out that I have zero experience with Arduino or electronics, so I had no idea what to expect or where to start.. So I checked the Adafruit website and there I found the tutorials on the Flora. First up was the 'Getting starte ...
Hi, I'm Linda and I'm very excited to be one of the eight competitors in this challenge! Jeej!   The idea I have for this project is to make a toy camera/colour game for small kids. While in graduate school I used to make games for kids in artmuseums and musical games for kids in primary school. Although I still make musicprojects, it's been quite a while since I made an actual game. So when this challenge came along, I thought off making a new game. This time one for small children (like ...