Skip navigation
So here we are at the finishing line for this design challenge, and my first attempt at a Design Challenge.  A huge pat on the back for my partner dougw who had the lions share of the design and manufacturing portions of the project.   In this final blog I will post my test code and the final voice control python script.   I started out planning for a dual GUI and voice control python "program" that would be able to control and setup the spice platter either by voice commands or ...
On Sunday, I plugged in the lifting servo after unplugging the spinning servo, and just blindly ran the code for my angle testing.  I had completely forgotten that the servo was not the same as the spinning servo, and had a much smaller range of motion.  The servo ended up moving and tried to go further than the lifter barrel had tolerance for.  You can see the lifter assembly quite well at the beginning of the video in Dougs blog number 8.  So, I actually broke the screw fla ...
Another day, another blog...   So after getting the servos to work I found out that the pigpio library, although it works marvelously, kills the AIY voice control dead.  As soon as the service is started (with sudo pigpio command), the AIY microphone didn't hear what I was saying.  I have numbers android phones and tablets on my desk, and they all heard and responded to my Hey/OK Google attempts, but not the Voice Hat.  The only way to recover (even after doing a killall pig ...
WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!   Friday dougw gave me the assembled platter and some spice bottles to help work on the code and voice control aspect of the project.  So I rushed home to de-solder my servos from my Voice board and attach some headers to attach the platter servos.  It was then I remembered that I had lent my soldering iron to my brother (who lives about an hour away) to do some rework on his 'vintage' stereo amplifier collection.  So this morning I made a trip to the ele ...
Another quick update.  This mainly deals with the fidgeting servos.  e14phil suggested using the pigpio library try to eliminate the twitches.  I finally was able to get to do this and here is a video of the results:     You will notice that the delay between the servo moving is blocking the AIY voice recognizer from running. That is why the assistant does not respond to my Ok Google request.  The first delay is 100 ms which is not announced on the video, and the ...
Another update with a video. In order to choose the spices, Doug has 3d printed a platter that will be required to spin and lift the spice bottles. In order to do that he has designed in 2 servos to do the spinning and lifting.  I get to make the code to spin and lift the servos.  There is a python library to access the servos that I will be using. After working on this Friday night and a good chunk of Saturday I have very limited success.  I have been able to get the servo-demo s ...
So in the 2ish weeks since my last update I have been on and off again playing with the Google assistant.  I have also started coding the Python code and gui.  I was hoping to find an IDE for Python that mimics the drag and drop creation of the GUI elements like the older versions of Visual Basic.  Unfortunately, the ones that I liked wouldn't compile properly on the PI ( https://github.com/dddomodossola/remi ).  I ended up through many clicks and searches finding the followi ...
Hello everyone and welcome to Blog number 2 for the Spice of Pi.   This entry is going to lay the ground work for the software part of the Spice of Pi.  The development is going to be done in Python.  It has been a few years since I have actually used Python so this will be a great exercise to get the rust of those skills again.   Here is a rough mock up of the screen that I will start out with.  I probably won't have 16 buttons in the final display because that would o ...
Hello everyone!  This is my first entry into the Pi Chef Design Challenge that I am collaborating on with dougw.  This is also my first time entering into a contest and I am looking forward to the challenge and learning some new things. As mentioned in Doug's first blog(https://www.element14.com/community/community/design-challenges/blog/2018/01/21/the-spice-of-pi-blog-doug-1), I will be doing the software for this project.  For this blog, I am going to be starting out simple an ...