Skip navigation

Upcycle It

11 Posts authored by: konstantinoskonstas
Upcycle finished! The Hybrid Radio is ready   I published the first draft pic as a comment to my last post #10. Here is a better one. This is my last post for the Upcycle-it Challenge,   During the last week of the project everything had to go according to plan. On Friday, June 2nd  noon time,  I had an almost finished radio that still needed some finishing touches, but it was working. While I was in the process of preparing it and the software  ready, more ideas a ...
Decoding the WEB SDR transmission. Method & Software that works!   When I wrote the previous post I was really stuck on how to implement my idea. That is why I broadcasted that help was needed. Not only to the Element14 Community that is following the Upcycle it project but to other Ham Communities as well.   It was Andy that sent the first good response. Andy Clark (Workshopshed)  May 23, 2017 9:34 PM Perhaps if you can get access to the stream rather than the web page yo ...
How to easily decode the WEB SDR transmission. Help needed!   Having returned back to my home city Athens, and fighting my jet lag, I set upon testing all the components for the challenge, just to make sure that they have survived the long trip. Unfortunately for some reason that I have not discovered yet, my Edison module that I had so carefully hand carried and undergone flight inspections, would not boot or SSH no matter what I tried.  I used the USB cable through the Arduino IDE ...
Preparing the code – the Audio connection   Leaving the UI calisthenics for a while, I started testing the audio part of the project. That is the interface of the Edison module with my USB Audio card and what I could get at its output. I had tested the card before,in terms of Linux connectivity and I was confident that it was working as I have been using that USB Audio dongle for over a year now in my Amateur Radio activities with a number of programs for decoding/encoding digital d ...
Meet with Edison Hardware for the second time   It took a little bit more than I expected to get the components from Sparkfun to go on with the project. Eventually they arrived yesterday afternoon, so I started work right away. Meanwhile I had prepared the first version of the program that I had previously written for the Arduino, re-writing it in node.js to suit my needs. I was expecting for the boards to visualize the actual size of the display and how the menu would look on such a s ...
A change of plan.  I said to start writing early this week as my time limits according to my plan were over for trying to make the Nokia 5110 LCD work with node.js using MRAA initialization.   Some days ago, I wrote as a comment about the code that I could also try for this purpose. The idea came from Andy who so kindly pointed to the js code for using the Nokia 5110 LCD with its Philips PCD8544 controller under javascript for the Beaglebone. Τhat code (https://github.com/kkel ...
Software Exploration continues.   I am afraid this week my post is not going to offer to many things, as I do not have to report really much progress myself. The reason being that I am still trying to make my Nokia 5110 LCD with Graphics capabilities, work under node.js in XDK environment. I have spent long hours to accomplish that task, but I have not reached my desired goal yet. In my last post I explained how my LCD works nicely under Arduino IDE, but in order to have the U8g2 grap ...
Software experiences. Last time I had stopped saying that my next task would be to make my LCD display, a Nokia 5110 work with the Edison. Using that display in a number of Arduino projects, I was quite happy with the U8Glib library that could cover all shorts of graphics including a number of quality true type fonts. The bad news however, came when I tried to test compiling with that. I got an incompatibility message saying that the library was only for Arduino or AVR, so it could not be ...
Meeting with Intel's Edison   Well, since my last post, I received my Edison next morning, so I will report my experiences and ideas from the first days of trying to use it. I think that is quite important, so that others could be benefited from that.   Establishing an operating environment. a. Arduino IDE I decided not to use it and to have it removed. Mark was kind enough to advise me the same thing, as it could only create problems than uploading sketches.; I added Edison boar ...
While waiting for the Edison to arrive, I had planned to discuss about the software. Before doing that, I will refer to some software related issues that I faced, while trying to set up an Edison environment on my computer so that I can be ready by the time the hardware arrives.   Unfortunately I do not have my old faithful Linux HP anymore, so I am using a Lenovo 10” 4 core ATOM tablet PC with 2 GB of RAM that has Win10 Home edition pre-installed. The machine is fine for doing almo ...
I have this old Panasonic DR-28/RF-2800 back from the 80’s, in my bedroom that I do not want to give for recycling. As a matter of fact, I am very sentimentally attached to it. It was my first analog radio receiver with a digital display along with a tuning dial, a BFO for SSB and CW (morse code) reception, an RF gain to cope with strong signals, a true analog (needle type) signal strength meter, long-medium-short wave (HF) coverage, FM band, portable battery operation plus mains, a retrac ...