We are pleased to announce that Canonical has released Snappy Ubuntu Core-- and it's compatible with the BeagleBone Black! Running Snappy Core on smart devices delivers bullet-proof security, reliable updates and the enormous Ubuntu ecosystem at your fingertips – bringing your favorite cloud platform to a wide range of IoT devices and autonomous machines.
And the BeagleBone Black is one of the two key recommended ARM based development boards for this core! Over at Beagleboard.org, Jason Kridner says: “BeagleBone Black and Snappy Ubuntu Core together answer the pervasive questions around the Internet of Things, so I am obviously thrilled. Experts and developers often ask me how they can normalize their application environment and have confidence in the security of the system. With a reference design of Snappy on BeagleBone Black, Canonical and BeagleBoard.org have partnered to ensure anyone can build an IoT prototype quickly and affordable, without any barriers to taking their designs to production.”
Here are just some of the advantages developers get by using Snappy Core:
- You can just package your IoT app like a mobile app and put it into an IoT app store
- Transactional upgrades - you don't have to worry about handling complex stuff like patching operating systems, updating apps, rollback in case something goes wrong. Snappy Ubuntu Core does all of that for you.
- Security, security, security! Android for IoT is just asking for viruses and trojans. Now transpose this to the Internet of Things: do you really want you house, work or city to be taken over by some mischievous hacker? We run each app in a secure container, and the operating system is mounted read-only.
- Free to use and open source... of course.
- 70% of penetration on the cloud. So you get a lot of stability on many familiar platforms. No more needing to learn a different operating system for each new platform, like wifi, TV, switch, robot, etc: One OS to rule them all.
Here are a couple of videos to help you get started with Snappy Ubuntu Core.
First, how to install and run Snappy on your BeagleBone Black:
Next, what Snappy Ubuntu Core means for smart devices running ARM or x86 processors:
Let us know what you think! And have fun getting into Snappy Ubuntu Core!