*Update: The website upgrade has now been completed. We hope you enjoy using the new features and if you need help or have questions feel free to post in Feedback and Support or @mention element14support.
Greetings element14 Community members,
The element14 Community website has recently undergone some changes as part of a regular site upgrade every couple of years.
Questions about why we upgrade? See here.
This website upgrade is a combination of improvement suggestions we've received from you, fixes to reported issues, and brand new features to help you make better use of your membership here on the Community. To ensure a smooth transition, last month we asked a handful of members to try out the new site ahead of launch and let us know what they thought of it. Here’s what a few of them they had to say:
“The improvements are really nice and make the site more useful. Good changes!”
“The updated profile page is excellent!”
“The drop down list for things like Topics work so much better on my tablet and much more responsive too!”
A very special thanks to all of those who participated in our beta program!
As of Sunday, January 24th, the website update has been completed. Please report any issues with an @mention to element14support or post in Feedback & Support where our team will be ready and waiting to help you Monday-to-Friday. We hope you find these updates and new features easy and enjoyable to use on the Community to Connect, Learn, Create and Inspire! Found an issue? Check out the known issues log to see if your issue has already been reported.)
Your friends at element14 Community.
New Features and Updates
- Your Profile: The layout to the profile area has changed quite a lot. You'll also notice a new feature, similar to LinkedIn’s skill endorsements, have been added so you can share your specific skills and expertise with others via your profile. See below for a comparison of the current profile page versus the new layout.
- Old Profile:
- New Profile:
- Question & Answers: Members can now mark any open question that any other member has asked with “I have the same question”
Also, other members can now mark responses/answers to a question as “helpful”. The more a question is marked as "I have this same question", the higher it will be returned in the search results for relevant content.
You'll also be able to search and filter now on questions that have helpful replies.
- Your View: The Activity Stream and Inbox (which were previously part of the same area on the website) have now been separated. Your Inbox can still be accessed by clicking on the orange box at the top right of the site.
Activity can now be accessed by clicking on “Activity” at the top right of the site, which means you can access it in one fewer clicks than before.
In addition to the separation of the two features, you'll also see a new feature called “Your View” in the Inbox, which allows you to create a custom page to show the information that's most important to you. You can also make Your View, Activity or Inbox your default view when you visit the element14 Community.
- Streams: In addition to the current feature of creating custom streams that follow places and people you care about, now you can also create streams with tags. Simply edit your current stream(s) to take advantage of this new feature on existing streams.
- Design Look & Feel: Changes have been made to shorten the home page scroll, the navigational menus have been simplified, many of the page layouts have been cleaned up and refreshed, and you'll also notice an overall refresh of the design.
Content icon images have a new updated look:
- Search & Filter: The main search box results will now return additional filters including Frequently Viewed and Recently Searched.
- Qualified Content: Three new options (labelled as Official, Marked as Outdated and Has Helpful Comments) to search have been added. These three new filters have been added to improve your search results.
When you see content marked "Official" on element14 Community you can be assured it is an official piece of content published by element14 Community. Likewise, old versions of content also can also be marked as "Outdated" so you know you're not looking at the most current version when you see this note on a piece of content.
Performance & Security Improvements: Some changes you might not notice in the design or as a new feature, but are improvements we think you'll welcome nonetheless. Changes have been made to reduce the amount of code to improve the speed of page load times. Additionally, we've implemented a switch to use HTTPS across the site that will strengthen security/privacy of all members.
Mobile: element14 Community will now offer a responsive design which will make the website easier to consume and navigate on your tablet, mobile phone or any other different sized display. Rather than employing a separate "mobile" site, the upgraded element14.com will automatically adjust itself to any size or orientation of screen.