As part of the Hardware Hacking Challenge I thought that I'd try to resurrect a Pong game that I built back in 1978. My intro blog is here: Pong Game Circa 1978
Since it came out of my junk box and seemed to be in poor condition I thought that I probably should have proof of life before I invested too much effort in restoring it. I was somewhat surprised that the 30 AWG wirewrap wire that I had used had oxidized and become brittle. Some of the wires were actually broken. I still use 28 AWG wire of the same vintage and the unused wire seems like new. I guess maybe the wire may have reacted with the metallization of the wirewrap pins. Anyway, I decided I should rebuild the circuit from scratch - just reusing the ICs and the crystal.
So, I cut the circuit board out of the case (who used connectors back then ).
Top of the board:
The bottom of the board: You can see the blackened wire ends wrapped on the pins.
Switches and jacks viewed from inside the case:
To verify life I thought that I'd just power it up and verify the clock circuit and that the video sync and composite outputs were working.
2 MHz oscillator waveform:
So looks good to proceed. Hope to have a functioning game soon. I just realized that I'll have to scare up a composite monitor......