Remote Monitoring & Control

Enter Your Electronics & Design Project for a chance to win up to a $200 Shopping Cart of Product!

Back to The Project14 homepage

Project14 Home
Monthly Themes
Monthly Theme Poll

 

Now that the Remote Monitoring and Control Project14 Challenge has started I have gathered together some of the components and PCBs that I am thinking of using, following on from my initial ideas (CatDogFoxBot #1 : My Initial Idea). The Grideye module was ordered and has arrived and is much smaller than I was expecting, although this is not a problem. I will also be using one of the step motors I used in my HoloPiBot Picasso Design Challenge ( HoloPiBot #10 : It Actually Works - It Really Does!  ). They are not particularly powerful but it should be OK for this small sensor, plus I already have one and they come with their own driver PCB. Having created a nice 3D printer holder for my DC motor mobile robot ( DCMotorsMobileRoBot #4 : 3D Printed PCB Holder  ) I have decided to try and do the same for this project and I will be using another connectorless Nano.

 

 

One of the problems that I anticipate is actually testing out the system to detect cats. We do not get any dogs running about wild in this Country any more and only the occasional fox, but you never know - they might be out there! So I expect to have to run the system for long periods while collecting image data to confirm that it is working and I am thinking of a Bluetooth link to my laptop indoors, saving all the Grideye data into a text file. I could use a WiFi link but I am keeping the new technology as limited as possible and just sticking to the Grideye which I have not used before. It it all goes well and there is still some time left then I might consider trying out a WiFi link as well. To make all this work all night means some sort of big battery and I am going to use a lead acid battery that I just happen to have lying around. This is from a fire alarm battery backup which it is no longer good enough for but should hopefully be good enough for me.

 

If this all works then I will have to think of some sort of environmental packaging and protection and I thought I might try making a concrete or cement enclose for the battery part at least. I have been involved in making one before when testing how good WiFi was at passing through concrete but it turned into a monstrosity that was virtually impossible to lift. I would want to go for something more delicate and smaller for this project.

 

Well, I'm off to design some 3D part now to connect the scanning bits all together.

 

Dubbie