Aim of the Simple Solar BOT
My idea is to develop a simple solar powered robot which can harness its energy from the solar panels. Currently I am in the inception phase of the project. I have ordered some parts and components which I am waiting for delivery. This is my first time working with solar energy so I am very enthusiastic about it.
The Simple Solar bot should self sustain its energy requirements and be smart to go into sleep mode when no activity is seen by the bot in order to consume less energy. It should also charge the re-chargable batteries so it is not dependent on the solar power entirely. This means that the main bot system should run on either solar panel or on batteries (only when needed).
My rough list of ideas of what I want the solar Bot to do.
Design a mechanical base to mound the motors and the solar panels securely.
Stepper motor or DC motor interface for the Solar Bot
Arduino Board with sensors mounted which allows the bot to collect some data from the surroundings. I need to select and interface the sensors to the Arduino.
Use a relay board to turn on and off the devices while keeping the devices isolated from the Arduino.
Current Status of the Project
- Currently I am refining the idea of the Simple Solar Bot. And also I am in the stage or ordering and reviewing parts and sensor pcbs I want to use.
- Learning to use the Arduino Board and realize the power consumption of this board and if it can get the voltage and current it needs from the solar panels.
- Building the mechanical base to mount the motors.
- Calculating the power which can be delivered by the solar panels in terms of voltage and current. Solar panels have been delivered.
Devices under Test
Further Steps in next Month
- Make the Solar Bot concept concrete.
- Interface the sensors with the Arduino board.
In the upcoming blogs; I will post some results from my tests with the solar panels and the motors.