Skip navigation
We're at the last day of the Heat is On Challenge.   Here is the initial block diagram of my project: I've implemented all of the hardware elements with the exception of only implementing a single temperature sensor and changing the sensor type to an 18B20 probe.  Unfortunately, I haven't deployed the unit to my rooftop solar array yet because I am still testing and tweaking the design.   SPEC Final Hardware:   Finale Video: Not much interesting in watching data accu ...
Finally the Arduino UNO was replaced by a Arduino Nano for the final tests.   The Ultimate Block Diagram    Final SimpleSolar BOT        Finally Update  The final video of the SolarBot in Action. Due to lack of sunlight today the tests were done with multiple halogen bulbs to simulate the sun. And I also added an extra solar panel to boot up the power output. The 4 Halogen Bulb setup to mimic the sun.   Test Setup     Ad ...
I've updated the 8266 program to change the temperature sensor from the DHT22 to the 18B20.  It was a straightforward change using the OneWire and DallasTemperature libraries.  Initially nothing was working, but then I realized that I had forgotten to add the pullup resistor on the Data line (not required on the DHT22).  Added a 4.7K resistor to 3.3V and everything started working.   Here is my test plot from ThingSpeak.  I held the temperature probe between my fingers ...
I've completed the build of my SPEC unit. 1) Added terminal block for external temperature sensor 2) Added 18B20 temperature probe 3) Added power switch 4) Added power indicator LED 5) Adapted Solar Cell wiring to micro USB for 8266 Thing power input (spliced the end of a micro USB charging cable) 6) Added cover gasket (temporarily using rope caulk until I can cut a neoprene gasket)     I still need to update the program to use the 18B20 temperature sensor rather than the ...