In Part II: OS Configuration and Software Installation & Update, I showed how I configured the OS and installed software. In this part III, I will show the problem of SHIM and how I made it work.

 

To test the kit, I first tried cgps program a few times and each time the program timed out and quit in a couple of seconds. Basically there was no GPS fix at all.

IMG_0935.JPGIMG_0936.JPG

 

Then I tried to print GPS message but still no luck. I issued poweroff command to brought down the kit and started trouble-shooting.

IMG_0937.JPGIMG_0938.JPGIMG_0939.JPG

 

The first thing I did for trouble-shooting was remove the PiFace and still didn't get a fix.

IMG_0969.JPGIMG_0970.JPG

 

Next, I directly plugged Microstack baseboard onto GPIO pins. And I got the first GPS fix after powering up the kit for a while.

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0821.JPGIMG_0965.JPG

 

At this point, I was convinced that I had the same SHIM issue like others had. To solve the problem but not touch the Pi2, I ordered a connector (ESW-120-14-G-D from Samtec) and soldered the connector on the SHIM board.

IMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpgIMG_0973.jpgIMG_0974.jpg

 

Put all things together and powered the kit up and got GPS fix in a few seconds.

IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0979.jpgIMG_0978.jpg

 

Next, a quick test with the PiFace

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0980.jpg

 

Up to this point, I am confident my kit is ready for the fun of programming. If you have any question or comments about my step by step building process, please post below. Thanks for your reading.