- 100-pin PIM riser, compatible with the PIM versions of all Microchip PIC24F/24H/dsPIC33F devices
- Direct 9 VDC power input that provides 3.3V and 5V (regulated) to the entire board
- Power indicator LED
- RS-232 serial port and associated hardware
- On-board analog thermal sensor
- USB connectivity for communications and device programming/debugging
- Standard 6-wire In-Circuit Debugger (ICD) connector for connections to an MPLAB ICD 2 programmer/debugger module
- Hardware selection of PIM or soldered on-board microcontroller (in future versions)
- 2-line by 16-character LCD
- Provisioning on PCB for add on graphic LCD
- Push button switches for device Reset and user-defined inputs
- Potentiometer for analog input
- Eight indicator LEDs
- 74HCT4053 multiplexers for selectable crossover configuration on serial communication lines.
- Serial EEPROM
- Independent crystals for precision microcontroller clocking (8 MHz) and RTCC operation (32.768 kHz)
- Prototype area for developing custom applications
- Socket and edge connector for PICtail™ Plus card compatibility
- Six-pin interface for PICkit 2 Programmer
- JTAG connector pad for optional boundary scan functionality
The Explorer 16 (DM240001) is a low cost, efficient development board to evaluate the features and performance of Microchip's new PIC24 Microcontroller, the dsPIC33 Digital Signal Controller (DSC) families, and the new 32-bit PIC32MX devices. Coupled with the MPLAB ICD 2 In Circuit Debugger or MPLAB REAL ICE, real-time emulation and debug facilities speed evaluation and prototyping of application circuitry. The Explorer 16 100-pin (DM240001) features two interchangeable Plug-In Modules (PIMs), one each for the PIC24FJ128GA010 and the dsPIC33FJ256GP710 DSC.
Microchip's 16-bit, PIC24 MCUs and dsPIC® Digital Signal Controllers provide designers with an easy upgrade path from 8-bit PIC® microcontrollers and a cost effective option to 32-bit MCUs. The broad product line includes everything from eXtreme Low Power microcontrollers to high performance digital signal controllers. Combined with hardware and free software these 16-bit products make the design of mTouch™ Sensing, Graphics, Connectivity, Digital Power Conversion, Smart Energy and Motor Control solutions easy to implement.
The PIC24F microcontroller family features cost effective, 16 MIPS 16-bit MCU performance and many devices with Microchip's eXtreme Low Power Technology. The PIC24F families incorporate USB-OTG, to act as a USB Device or Host, a Charge Time Measurement Unit (CTMU) that allows precision time measurement, capacitive measurement for mTouch™ applications and an integrated graphics controller to implement a graphical display interface.
The dsPIC33F/E Digital Signal Controllers offer the performance of a DSP with the simplicity of an MCU. The dsPIC33F/E core is designed to execute digital filter algorithms, high-speed precision digital control loops and digital audio and speech processing.
Daughter Cards: There are various Plug-In Modules and Daughter Cards are available which can be used with Explore 16 Development Kits, please click below to for more information:
Plug-In Modules for Explore 16 Development Kit Daughter Cards for Explore 16 Development Kit
Key Applications: Metering Solutions, Motor control, Home appliance, Design Examples, Digital Power, Lighting, USB, Ethernet, CAN, Wireless, mTouch™ Sensing Solutions, Graphics Solutions, Audio and Speech, 3V System Design, EMC Design, Low Power.
- The Explorer 16 Development Board
- A preprogrammed PIC24FJ128GA010 Processor Installation Module (PIM), already installed to the board
- A preprogrammed dsPIC33FJ256GP710 PIM
- An RS-232 cable
- The Explorer 16 Development CD ROM, containing:
- This User’s Guide
- Data Sheets for the PIC24FJ128GA family and dsPIC33FJ256GP family
- Schematics and PCB drawing files for the PIM modules
- Example programs for use with the PIC24 and dsPIC33F devices
- Files detailing general purpose expansion boards that can be used with the Explorer 16 board (provided in Gerber format)