The MPC8308-RDB reference platform is ideal for hardware and software development in embedded applications, including consumer printers, wireless access points, industrial control and factory automation equipment. It leverages the costeffective MPC8308 PowerQUICC II Pro communications processor, built on Power Architecture® technology, which is designed to meet the requirements of several lowend embedded networking applications with high-speed peripherals while striving for low power consumption and a small-footprint package design.
The MPC8308-RDB integrates leading-edge external components: 5 x Gigabit Ethernet ports, 1 x USB 2.0, x1 mini PCI Express® connector and an SD/MMC card interface. The MPC8308 microprocessor supports dual 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet controllers, singlelane PCI Express, USB 2.0 controller, enhanced SDHC controller for SD memory interface, dual universal asynchronous receiver/ transmitter (DUART), serial peripherals, general-purpose I/O and system timers. This high level of integration in the MPC8308 processor helps to lower overall system costs, improve performance and simplify board design. This cost-effective, highspeed peripheral mix makes the MPC8308 processor a unique offering in the marketplace.
The MPC8308-RDB incorporates a pre-installed board support package (BSP) containing a boot loader (u-boot) - a generic Power Architecture technology system based on the Linux® kernel. The u-boot and Linux kernel reside in the on-board flash memory and launch when the board is powered up.
Key Applications: Connectivity, Consumer, Industrial and Networking.
- MPC8308 PowerQUICC II Pro processor up to 333/266 MHz (CPU/DDR2)
- 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch,supporting RGMII/MII
- Single Gigabit Ethernet PHY (RGMII)
- PCI Express interconnect
- Mini PCI Express for WLAN
- Two I²C
- Connected to real-time clock
- May be eliminated using the MCU
- Dual UART
- Connectors for debug connectivity
- Local bus
- NAND flash/NOR flash memory
- High-Speed USB 2.0
- Single USB 2.0 supporting host, device or OTG
- 32-bit DDR2 with population option for 16-bit
- Single-port SD/MMC connector
- IEEE® 1588v2 support for timing synchronization
- MPC8308-RDB board
- Power supply
- User guide
- Free six-month evaluation license for CodeWarrior tools