The BeagleBone Battery Cape provides a portable power solution for BeagleBone boards and its capes. This cape provides 5V power supply to the BeagleBone using 4 Lithium AA battery cells. Power will be provided to BeagleBone’s VDD_5V power rail as soon as battery cells are installed. The BeagleBone Battery Cape is also equipped with a power switch, a power indicator LED, and an EEPROM for muxing configuration. Adding cape plug-in boards to the popular BeagleBone computer allows hobbyists, makers and developers to quickly and easily augment BeagleBone’s capabilities with LCD screens, motor control and battery power as well as the ability to create their own circuits.
The BeagleBone Black has the ability to accept up to four expansion boards or capes that can be stacked onto the expansion headers. The word cape comes from the shape of the board as it is fitted around the Ethernet connector on the main board. This notch acts as a key to insure proper orientation of the cape.
The majority of capes designed for the original BeagleBone will work on the BeagleBone Black. The two main expansion headers will be populated on the board. There are a few exceptions where certain capabilities may not be present or are limited to the BeagleBone Black. These include:
- GPMC bus may NOT be available due to the use of those signals by the eMMC. If the eMMC is used for booting only and the file system is on the SD card, then these signals could be used.
- Another option is to use the SD or serial boot modes and not use the eMMC.
- The power expansion header is not on the BeagleBone Black so those functions are not supported
Note: The low battery output LBO signal (mapped to GPIO1_16) and voltage level analog input AIN4 are not supported by the current software.
- Provides 5V power supply using 4 Lithium AA battery cells
- Battery Cape is also equipped with a power switch
- Battery Cape is also equipped with a power indicator LED
- Battery Cape is also equipped with an EEPROM for muxing configuration
- One Power LED
- Two 46-position & One 10-position connector
- 2 Layers with PCB Thickness .062"
- 4 AA battery holders
- Cape Address EEPROM
- BeagleBone Battery Cape
- 1 Wiki information card