Microchip’s PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer uses in-circuit debugging logic incorporated into each chip with Flash memory to provide a low-cost hardware debugger and programmer. In-circuit debugging offers these benefits:
- Low cost
- Minimum of additional hardware needed for debug
- Expensive sockets or adapters are not required
The PICkit 3 can now also reprogram any PIC microcontroller with a simple push of a button: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2kNit7KcX0
Note: The PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer is NOT a production programmer. It should be used for development purposes only.
The MPLAB PICkit 3 allows debugging and programming of PIC® and dsPIC® Flash microcontrollers at a most affordable price point using the powerful graphical user interface of the MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE). The MPLAB PICkit 3 is connected to the design engineer's PC using a full speed USB interface and can be connected to the target via an Microchip debug (RJ-11) connector (compatible with MPLAB ICD 2, MPLAB ICD 3 and MPLAB REAL ICE). The connector uses two device I/O pins and the reset line to implement in-circuit debugging and In-Circuit Serial Programming™.
Some 8-, 14- and 18-pin devices use small header boards with a special MCU for debugging. This special MCU has extra pins for PICkit 3 communication and therefore allows the use of all pins on the part for the application. The header board is not used or needed for programming. However, when debugging these devices the header must be used. See the "Header Specification" document below.
- USB (Full speed 12 Mbits/s interface to host PC)
- Real-time execution
- MPLAB IDE compatible (free copy included)
- Built-in over-voltage/short circuit monitor
- Firmware upgradeable from PC/web download
- Totally enclosed
- Supports low voltage to 2.0 volts (2.0v to 6.0v range)
- Diagnostic LEDs (power, busy, error)
- Read/write program and data memory of microcontroller
- Erase of program memory space with verification
- Freeze-peripherals at breakpoint
- Program up to 512K byte flash with the Programmer-to-Go
- Header Information
The PICkit 3 Debug Express includes
- PICkit 3 Debugger/Programmer
- 44-pin demo board with a PIC18F45k20 microcontroller
- All hookup cables
and a CDROM that includes the following:
- PICkit 3 User’s Guide
- A series of 12 Lessons on C programming that cover I/O, A/D converters, timers, interrupts, and data tables (All source code files are provided)
- Debugging Tutorial on using the PICkit 3 as a debugger with the MPLAB IDE
- HI-TECH C PRO for PIC10/12/16 MCU Family in Lite mode.
- Microchip’s MPLAB IDE software for a complete code development environment