CHICAGO – August 13, 2014 – element14, Plotly and Texas Instruments (TI) are proud to announce 10 finalists in the Internet of the Backyard challenge, a competition designed to elevate summer activities. During this unique competition, designers will use the all-new SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi® CC3200 LaunchPad from TI and the online collaborative platform Plotly to bring Internet of Things (IoT) technology to traditional backyard elements.
“IoT is obviously a key trend in the electronics and engineering fields, and element14 is the place where engineers are building the internet of things,” said Dianne Kibbey, global head of community, element14. “We received some great proposals from people in the U.S. and abroad, and we’re looking forward to seeing how their builds could make summer more connected and enjoyable for people in the future.”
The participants and their proposed projects include:
- Janis Alnis (Latvia) – automated tomato irrigation system
- Christopher Bailey (U.S.) – moisture-detecting garden watering system that also deters pests
- Don Bertke (U.S.) – storm detector; or a squirrel detector to keep them away from a bird feeder
- Bill Crum (U.S.) – backyard gate monitoring system
- Colin Gerrish (Ireland) – grass length monitoring device
- Steve Hamilton (U.S.) – garden monitoring system measuring humidity, temperature, precipitation, sunlight and wind, among other factors
- Lukasz Krysiewicz (Poland) – intelligent garden umbrella
- Timothy Nott (U.S.) – automated bird observation system
- Matthias Stutz (Germany) – rooftop weather station
- Brian Sutherland (Canada) – humidity-sensing sprinkler
The finalists will post blog updates on element14.com/backyard every two weeks to show their progress, and the winner will be announced October 17, 2014, with the prize being a trip to an upcoming Maker Faire to show off their build.
In designing the CC3200 LaunchPad, TI has produced the industry's first Wi-Fi solution with a user-dedicated, programmable MCU. At the heart of the device lies a high-performance ARM® Cortex®-M4. Combined with onboard temperature sensors and a 3-axis accelerometer, TI’s new product is ready to drive an entire IoT application with a single IC, right out of the box.
Plotly makes it easy for design engineers to capture, stream, and visualize data from their development kits, and they have developed a custom API just for LaunchPad users to easily connect their development kits to the Internet.
About the Premier Farnell Group
Premier Farnell plc (LSE:pfl) is a global leader in high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. It trades as Farnell element14 in Europe, Newark element14 in North America and element14 across Asia Pacific. With sales last year of £968m, the Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and an inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet its customers’ needs.
Premier Farnell works with key strategic suppliers to bring to market development kits in a variety of applications, enabling it to support the customer from design concept through to production.
The latest products, software, services and solutions from trusted supplier partners are all available through 43 local language transactional websites, with customer support provided by degreed engineers. The element14 Community allows buyers and engineers to access a wide range of independent technical information, tools and the latest resources.
For news updates from Premier Farnell and element14 visit:
Premier Farnell Key facts
- Operations in 36 different countries
- More than 4,300 employees
- More than 3,500 leading suppliers
- More than 500,000 products stocked with access to over four million more on demand
- Leaders in providing information on REACH, Conflict Minerals and EU RoHS legislation
For more information visit the website at Premier Farnell.
Global Head of PR
Tel: +44 207 851 4145
Global PR Agency:
Darren Willsher/Andrew Hill
Tel: +44 208 408 8000
PR Manager, Europe and Global
Tel: +44 113 279 0101
PR Manager, APAC
Tel: + 65 6671 8769
North America Contact:
PR and Social Media manager
Tel: +1 773 907 5199
North American PR Agency
Walker Sands Communication
Tel: +1 312 648 6010