ADL5240-EVALZ is a fully populated, 4-layer, Rogers 3003-based evaluation board. For normal operation, it requires a 5 V/200 mA power supply. The evaluation board can be programmed through the USB port of a PC running Windows XP or Vista with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed. The DSA and the amplifier can be individually biased to the clip leads labeled VCC, VDD and GND as well as connected to the VDD plane using R2 and R1. The evaluation board can be configured with AMP-driving-DSA or DSA-driving-AMP using the available resistor and capacitor pads.
The ADL5240 is a high performance, digitally controlled variable gain amplifier (VGA) operating from 100 MHz to 4000 MHz. The VGA integrates a high performance, 20 dB gain, internally matched amplifier (AMP) with a 6-bit digital step attenuator (DSA) that has a gain control range of 31.5 dB in 0.5 dB steps with ±0.25 dB step accuracy. The attenuation of the DSA can be controlled using a serial or parallel interface.
Both the gain block and DSA are internally matched to 50 Ω at their inputs and outputs and are separately biased. The separate bias allows all or part of the ADL5240 to be used, which facilitates easy reuse throughout a design. The pinout of the ADL5240 also enables either the gain block or DSA to be first, giving the VGA maximum flexibility in a signal chain.
Key Applications: Wireless infrastructure, Automated test equipment, RF/IF gain control
Key Features for ADL5240 digitally controlled variable gain amplifier (VGA):
- Operating frequency from 100 MHz to 4000 MHz
- Digitally controlled VGA with serial and parallel interfaces
- 6-bit, 0.5 dB digital step attenuator
- 31.5 dB gain control range with ±0.25 dB step accuracy
- Gain block amplifier specifications
- Gain: 19.7 dB at 2.14 GHz
- OIP3: 41.0 dBm at 2.14 GHz
- P1dB: 19.5 dBm at 2.14 GHz
- Noise figure: 2.9 dB at 2.14 GHz
- Gain block or digital step attenuator can be first
- Single supply operation from 4.75 V to 5.25 V
- Low quiescent current of 93 mA
- Thermally efficient, 5 mm × 5 mm, 32-lead LFCSP
- The companion ADL5243 integrates a ¼ W driver amplifier to the output of the gain block and DSA
- ADL5240-EVALZ Evaluation Board