The Microchip dsPICDEM™ MCHV-2 Development System is intended to aid the user in the rapid evaluation and development of a wide variety of motor control applications using a dsPIC® Digital Signal Controller (DSC). This development system is targeted to control Brushless DC (BLDC) motors, Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors (PMSM), and AC Induction Motors (ACIM) in sensor or sensorless operation. This flexible and cost-effective tool can be configured in different ways for use with Microchip’s specialized motor control DSCs.
The dsPICDEM™ MCHV-2 Development System supports the dsPIC33F and dsPIC33E Motor Control device family and offers a mounting option to connect either a 28-pin SOIC device or a generic 100-pin Plug-In Module (PIM). The system has a three-phase power module device that contains the motor inverter and the gate driver’s circuitry. The circuit drives a BLDC, PMSM, or ACIM motor using different control techniques without requiring any additional hardware.
The MCHV-2 supports using either the internal opamps found on certain dsPIC33E products or the external opamps found on the MCHV-2 board for current sensing. It also has Power Factor Correction (PFC) circuitry to meet power regulatory requirements.
The rated continuous output current from the inverter is 6.5A (RMS). This allows up to approximately 2 kVA output when running from a 208V to 230V single-phase input voltage in a maximum 30ºC (85ºF) ambient temperature environment. Therefore, the system is ideally suited for running a standard 3-Phase Induction Motor of up to 1.4 kW (1.8 HP) rating or a slightly higher rated industrial servo-motor.
The power module is capable of driving other types of motors and electrical loads that do not exceed the maximum power limit and are predominantly inductive. Furthermore, single-phase loads can be driven using one or two of the inverter outputs. The unit is capable of operating from 90V up to a maximum of 265V.
Note: The MCHV-2(DM330023-2) replaces the previous MCHV (DM330023) and is fully backwards compatible with the previous MCHV(DM330023) and all motor control PIMs.
Key Application: Motor control.
- Power Factor Correction:
- Maximum output: 1000W at 400V
- Input voltage range: 85VAC - 265VAC
- Current feedback circuitry and zero-crossing detection
- VAC input voltage sensing
- DC bus sensing and Over-current protection
- Current sensing using either internal, on chip opamps or external opamps on the MCHV-2 board
- Built-In Power Supplies:
- 15V power supply, maximum power available 11W
- 3.3V power supply, maximum power available 2W
- Additional Protection Circuitry:
- 250 VAC/15A fuse
- In-rush current limiter
- EMI filter
- Motor Control Interfaces:
- Three-phase inverter (IPM): 400V/6.5A
- Hall sensors and Quadrature Encoder Interface (QEI)
- Phase voltage feedback for sensorless BEMF operation
- DC bus current sense resistor for single shunt resistor vector control
- Phase current sense resistors for dual shunt resistor vector control
- Over current protection
- Other Features:
- Built-in Isolated Debugger / Programmer
- Real time debug with DMCI integrated MPLAB®
- Isolated Input/Output control switches
- Compact design and royalty free software
- LED Indicators for PWM outputs
- dsPIC33EP256MC506 Internal Op-Amp PIM included (MA330031)
- Isolated communication ports : USB and RS232
- 28,44, and 100-pin dsPIC33F/E device support
- dsPICDEM MCHV-2 DEVELOPMENT BOARD
- dsPIC33EP256MC506 Internal Op-Amp PIM (MA330031)
- Matrix board to configure the MCHV-2 for internal, on chip opamp use
- Matrix board to configure the MCHV-2 for external, on board opamp use
- USB Cable Assembly
- Screw Driver