- Processors run at maximum speeds
- Debugging can be done with the device in-circuit
- No emulation load on the processor bus
- Simple interconnection
- Capability to incorporate I/O port data input
- Trace (MPLAB IDE and Compiler Assisted) – 8 and 16-bit devices
- Hardware Trace – 32-bit devices
- Real-time execution and real time trace collection
- Run time watch
- Full hardware debugging: breakpoints, single-step, variable inspect/modify
- Logic probe inputs/outputs (8)
- I/O Port trace and SPI trace options for high speed upload of trace data
- Over voltage/short-circuit monitor protection
- Low voltage: to 2.0 volts (2.0V to 5.5V range)
- High speed USB 2.0 communication protocol
MPLAB REAL ICE offers the following advantages:
- Low cost
- Full speed emulation
- Fast debugging and programming
- Ruggedized probe interface
- High speed connectivity (High Speed option)
- Long cable interconnects (validated to 3 meters)
- MPLAB IDE integration (included free)
- Small footprint (3 3/8”x4 5/8”x3/4”)
MPLAB REAL ICE In-Circuit Emulator System (DV244005) is high speed emulator for Microchip Flash DSC® and MCU devices. It debugs and programs PIC® and dsPIC® Flash microcontrollers with the easy-to-use but powerful graphical user interface of the MPLAB Integrated Development Environment (IDE), included with each kit.
The MPLAB REAL ICE probe is connected to the design engineer's PC using a high-speed USB 2.0 interface and is connected to the target with either a connector compatible with the popular MPLAB ICD 2 system (RJ11) or with the new high speed, noise tolerant, low voltage differential signal (LVDS) interconnection (CAT5).
Standard Probe Driver
The Standard Probe Driver uses a MPLAB ICD 2 type connector (RJ11) to connect to the target application. Designs that are compatible with MPLAB ICD 2 debugging/programming are quickly converted to the use of MPLAB REAL ICE. This driver board is included in the MPLAB REAL ICE Probe Kit (DV244005).
High Speed Probe Driver/Receiver (AC244002)
The optional High Speed Probe Driver consists of two circuit boards (transmitter and receiver) with two CAT5 cables. Debug pins are driven using LVDS communications, and additional trace connections allow high speed serial trace uploads to the PC.
MPLAB REAL ICE is field upgradeable through future firmware downloads in MPLAB IDE. In upcoming releases of MPLAB IDE, new devices will be supported, and new features added.
The MPLAB REAL ICE in-circuit emulator is an in-circuit emulator that is controlled by a PC running MPLAB IDE software on a Windows® platform. It is an integral part of the development engineer's toolsuite. The application usage can vary from software development to hardware integration to manufacturing test to field service.
The MPLAB REAL ICE in-circuit emulator is a emulator system that supports hardware and software development for selected Microchip PIC® microcontrollers (MCUs) and dsPIC® Digital Signal Controllers (DSCs) that are based on In-Circuit Serial Programming™ (ICSP™) programming capability and Standard DUT Programming (STDP) 2-wire serial interfaces.
The emulator system will execute code in an actual device because these Microchip devices have built-in emulation circuitry, instead of a special emulator chip, for emulation. All available features of a given device are accessible interactively, and can be set and modified by the MPLAB IDE interface.
- CD-ROM with MPLAB IDE software and on-line documentation
- Emulator pod
- USB cable to provide communications between the emulator and a PC and to provide power to the emulator
- Standard driver board and cable to connect the emulator pod to a header module or target board
- Logic probes
- Loop-back test board