The MCP3905A Energy Meter Reference Design (using the MCP3905A/06A device) is a stand-alone low cost energy meter. It can act as either a stand alone energy meter, or as the analog front end design for LCD microcontroller based meters.
The MCP3905 design is specified with an energy measurement error of 0.1% typical across 1:500 dynamic range for high accurate energy meter designs. This reference design is compliant with EMC requirements per energy metering standards IEC62053 and legacy IEC61036, IEC1046 and IEC687.
The MCP3905A/06A Energy Meter Reference Design is a stand-alone, single-phase residential meter design for active -energy meter designs. For advanced microcontroller-based meter products, this design also serves as the design of the Analog Front-End (AFE). This design includes a low-cost DC power supply circuit and the necessary protection for IEC62053 EMC compliance.
Key Application: Energy Meter Design
- Uses the new MCP3905A/06A devices
- Demonstration board is a ready to use single-chip low cost energy meter
- Direct connection to line for energy meter, no transformers required
- On-board power supply circuitry
- Resistive network and Output LED for meter calibration,
- Resistor shorts for gain and frequency selection
- MCP3905A/06A Energy Meter Reference Design, 102-00037
- Important Information Sheet