The Cirrus Logic Audio Card brings all the features found on the previous version of this card from Wolfson Microelectronics to the Raspberry Pi A plus and B plus model. It offers a similar flexibility to a PC soundcard to capture audio alongside their camera, and experiment with stereo digital capture and playback.
This Audio Card requires a patch set to be downloaded to the raspberry Pi operating system or use the element14 pre-built Noobs image from element14 which includes the pre-installed Cirrus Logic Audio Card drivers.
Early in 2014, Cirrus Logic acquired Wolfson Microelectronics, and Raspberry Pi released the new 40-pin GPIO featured, for example featured on models B and A . In addition to the new GPIO configuration, the 8-pin P5 connector was also dropped, allowing for an altogether easier interconnect experience for accessories. The Cirrus Logic Audio card is therefore a replacement for the Wolfson Audio Card, and addresses the need for a high quality audio solution for 40-pin versions of Raspberry Pi. It contains the same core silicon and therefore has the same high performance as its predecessor, but has been improved in a number of ways.
Important Note: Please be aware that the Cirrus Logic Audio Card is only compatible with Raspberry Pi A plus and B plus. It cannot be used on Raspberry Pi Models A or B.
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi B and A onwards (with 40-pin extended GPIO, and no P5 connector)
- Analogue line-level output and input
- Digital stereo audio input and output (SPDIF)
- High quality headphone output, with microphone facility (for headphones with boom microphone)
- Onboard stereo digital microphones based on MEMS technology
- Ability to render High Definition (HD) Audio
- Arrives bundled with five High Definition (HD) audio files to demonstrate the systems capability.
- Onboard power amplifier for directly driving loudspeakers. (Requires headers to be fitted)
- Expansion header to allow connection to host boards other than Raspberry Pi.
- Back power protection, allows Raspberry Pi to be powered from the Cirrus Logic Audio card, allowing for convenient set up.
- New universal software support for both this card, and the former Wolfson Audio Card.
- Audio Card