The is a product evaluation board based on L6986, a 38 V, 2 A synchronous step-down switching regulator with 30 μA quiescent current. It can be used for 12 V and 24 V buses, programmable logic controllers (PLCs), decentralized intelligent nodes & sensors and low noise applications.
The L6986 device is a step-down monolithic switching regulator able to deliver up to 2 A DC. The output voltage adjustability ranges from 0.85 V to VIN. Thanks to the P-channel MOSFET high-side power element, the device features 100% duty cycle operation. The wide input voltage range meets the specification for the 5 V, 12 V and 24 V power supplies.
The “Low Consumption Mode” (LCM) is designed for applications active during idle mode, so it maximizes the efficiency at light load with controlled output voltage ripple. The “Low Noise Mode” (LNM) makes the switching frequency constant overload current range, meeting the low noise application specification.
The output voltage supervisor manages the reset phase for any digital load (μC, FPGA, etc.). The RST open collector output can also implement output voltage sequencing during the power-up phase. The synchronous rectification, designed for high efficiency at medium - heavy load, and the high switching frequency capability make the size of the application compact. Pulse by pulse current sensing on both power elements implements an effective constant current protection.
- 4 V to 38 V operating input voltage
- Low consumption mode or low noise mode
- 30 μA IQ at light load (LCM VOUT= 3.3 V)
- 5 μA IQ-SHTDWN
- Adjustable fSW (250 kHz - 2 MHz)
- Output voltage adjustable from 0.85 V to VIN
- Embedded output voltage supervisor
- Adjustable soft-start time
- Internal current limiting
- Overvoltage protection
- Output voltage sequencing
- Peak current mode architecture
- RDS(on) HS= 180 mΩ, RDS(on) LS= 110 mΩ
- Thermal shutdown
- Evaluation Module