Entrepreneur Edition IoT Starter Kit: element 14 and EnOcean Self Powered Kit for IBM Watson IoT Platform
The Entrepreneur solution includes EnOcean self-powered sensors, a Raspberry Pi and EnOcean Pi boards from element14, and provides access to the IBM Watson IoT Platform and Bluemix services from IBM.
Using the popular Raspberry Pi single board computer, these out-of-the-box, IoT-ready starter kits are flexible and cost-effective gateways to developing intelligent building products for hospitals, homes, airports and other venues on the way to a seamlessly connected IoT. The Entrepreneur edition is more technical in nature, for ‘makers,’ engineers and start-ups, while the Enterprise model caters to facilities mangers, property owners and property management companies.
EnOcean Sensor Kit includes self-powered wireless sensors and a switch, ideal for home automation applications. No cables are required to switch lights, control blinds and acquire sensor information including temperature, humidity or presence detection. Sensors and actuators can directly communicate with each other or they can be controlled through an intelligent smart home server. Users can also use in home automation applications that require remote sensing and remote control via PC or smart phones. For example, the Raspberry-Pi is an ideal platform to setup a smart home server where the EnOcean-Pi acts as a bridge (Gateway-Controller) to the EnOcean radio world.
The IBM Watson Internet of Things Platform is a fully managed, cloud-hosted service that makes it simple to derive value from Internet of Things (IoT) devices. When combined with the IBM Bluemix platform, Watson IoT Platform provides simple, but powerful application access to IoT devices and data. You can rapidly compose analytics applications, visualization dashboards, and mobile IoT apps. Create IoT applications that feed insights to your backend enterprise applications.
Integrating EnOcean devices with Watson IoT Platform brings in the capabilities to smartly monitor and manage the building facitlities by analyzing real-time data captured using various sensors.
Bluemix is the latest cloud offering from IBM. It enables organizations and developers to quickly and easily create, deploy, and manage applications on the cloud. Bluemix is an implementation of IBM’s Open Cloud Architecture based on Cloud Foundry, an open source Platform as a Service (PaaS). 90 days trial included
- An out of the box IoT development kit for Intelligent Buildings
- EnOcean energy harvesting wireless technology enables switches and sensors to work without the need for wires and batteries
- They use miniaturised energy converters, which gain energy from the surrounding environment – from motion, light and temperature – to power wireless signals
- Together with wireless modules, comprehensive energy management and ultra-low power radio communication, EnOcean offers OEMs a complete energy harvesting platform for simple fit and forget cloud solutions
- Flexible and cost effective gateway using Raspberry Pi Single Board Technology platform
- Direct integration with the IBM Watson IoT Platform and BlueMix
- IBM Bluemix - Enables organizations and developers to quickly and easily create, deploy, and manage applications on the cloud. - 90 days trial
- Sensors (EnOcean product)
- EnOcean Pi (element14 product)
- Raspberry Pi (element14 product)
- Watson IoT Platform (IBM)
- BlueMix (IBM) 90 days trial