Taking the First Steps
Project14 is a monthly project competition from element14. There are no applications to fill out so competition is open to all community members who want to participate! You won't be given any required kits to use so you must choose what components work best for your project and demonstrate your project using video proof.
What is Project14
- A monthly design competition where community members decide themes to do projects around.
- Open to all community members who want to participate.
- Every month there is a new project theme poll where you get a chance to also submit ideas and images for future project competitions.
- Project14 Project Competitions are always happening on the community.
- Video is used to inspire creativity and encourage learning.
Who Is It for?
- Project14 is inclusive to all community members
- Regular project competitions are a way for novices, experts, and everyone in between to learn from one another and share the journey of taking ideas and turning them into projects
- Themes are general so you can choose to do a project however you want regardless of skill set.
- If you are less experienced but looking to try your hand in projects this is a great way to get your feet wet.
- You have the support of a community willing to help and peers to mentor you along your journey.
- Those with more experienced will perhaps have less of a learning curve and offer more complete projects
- You can use your expertise to demonstrate what's possible for others.
- If you see someone struggling with their project you are in a position to use your expertise to help others.
Every month you'll have a new poll where you'll get to decide an upcoming project competition, based on your interests, that will take place a couple of months in advance. Themes are broad in scope so that everyone can participate regardless of skill set.
What are Monthly Themes?
- Every month (around the 14th of each month) a new theme will be posted on Project14.
- Submit your ideas (proposals) for your projects to get feedback from the rest of the community.
- Submit a project entry in the Theme space once you start working on it.
What are Monthly Theme Polls?
- Every month (around the 14th of each month) there is a project theme poll.
- Vote on which project competition you want to see for the following upcoming theme.
- The themes voted on during the previous poll decided the upcoming theme.
- If you submit an idea for a theme that is not used then it can still be used in a future poll.
- Themes comments and ideas from the comments section of the project theme poll.
How do you get your theme voted on in a Project Theme Poll?
- Submit images and ideas for design projects in the comments section of the poll.
- If you see your idea or images used in a poll you'll earn a free element14 swag reward!
By opening this competition to as broad an audience as possible, this can be a place that brings together novices, experts, and everyone in between to learn from and share the journey of taking ideas and turning them into projects. Rewards are given for top projects and ideas so you'll experience the fun of competition while keeping things light hearted.
How do you submit a Project entry for a Project Theme?
- Visit the Project14 homepage or the Project Themes to see which project competitions are currently active.
- Step 1:Login or register on element14, it's easy and it's free
- Step 2: View the theme document under "theme" and discuss ideas in the comments below.
- Videos, pictures, and text are welcomed forms for discussing your ideas.
- Step 3: Click on Share an Entry in the theme space to share a blog entry of your progress and engage with other Community members!
- You can update your entry as you go along and ask for help in the comments section of your post.
- You are allowed to submit as many entries as you want but it's simpler to update your post as you go along.
How do you fill out a Project Entry?
Project submissions are loosely structured.
You are only required to submit one project entry that meets the following criteria:
- Come up with a Clever Name
- A clever name can make your project memorable.
- The right name can distinguish your project from others and help create buzz around your project.
- This project is your baby! Part of the fun of bringing something new into the world is coming up with a name.
- Stick to the Theme
- If you have an idea for a project that doesn't fit the current theme then submit your idea in the comments section of the monthly poll.
- Be Original
- Providing the steps you took to complete your project (text, video, or images) and providing video proof should be sufficient in most cases.
- If your project introduces something new or something that is not commercially available or affordable then that counts!
- Submit Video Proof
- If it doesn't work that's fine, this program is more about the journey than the end product.
- A short video is all that is required but you can shoot as much video as you like.
- You are encouraged to be creative and have as much fun as possible!
Sharing the Journey
Community members can volunteer to help judge project submissions.
How do you volunteer to judge?
You're under no obligation to vote for the best project, the guidelines are loosely structured but are designed to encourage complete project submissions (with steps and video proof), and we want this program to be something that everyone in the community can participate to post smaller projects that fit within a theme (a theme the members pick in a monthly poll) .
Keep this a by members, for members program by volunteering to judge!
If you're interested in picking the 3 First Place Winners contact tariq.ahmad or to clear up any questions on eligible entries for each competition.