Please take our MEMS Sensor Technology Quiz. To earn the MEMS badge, score 100% on the quiz, rate this document, and leave your feedback on the quiz as a comment. It asks questions about your knowledge of MEMS technology, fabrication, applications, as well as some specific questions about MEMS technology from our sponsor STMicroelectronics. If you score 100% we will send you a prize!
1) True or False: Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) is a process technology that integrates mechanical elements, sensors, actuators, and other electronics on a common substrate through the use of microfabrication technology.
2) The predominant substrate material used to manufacture MEMS devices is _______.
3) Hall effect sensors are an application of __________ law.
4) The LSM6DSOX is a MEMS inertial module featuring a 3D digital accelerometer and a 3D digital gyroscope with a(n) ________________ that allows moving some algorithms from the application processor to the MEMS sensor, enabling consistent reduction of power consumption.
5) __________ micromachining is primarily a subtractive process, while __________ micromachining is an additive process, both of which are used to fabricate MEMS devices.
6) What type of MEMS sensor would you select for your product design if you needed to measure free-fall?
7) True or False: MEMS devices and structures are fabricated using common integrated circuit process techniques such as lithography, deposition, and etching, as well as other micromachining processes.
8) The LSM6DSR is a combination accelerometer-gyroscope MEMS sensor that generates acceleration and angular rate output data. An external magnetometer can be connected to the device to expand its functionalities. How is that accomplished?
9) In order to protect MEMS devices from external contamination, a process called passivation can be utilized to deposit thin-film coatings to increase wear resistance. Which of the following compound(s) can be used?
10) In general, accelerometers sense acceleration by using a suspended proof mass on which an external acceleration can act. Upon acceleration, a force is generated on the proof mass resulting in displacement. The force or displacement is usually measured by ____________ and _____________ methods.
11) True or False: Hall effect magnetic sensors are based on the principle that when a current-carrying conductor is placed into a magnetic field, a voltage will be generated perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field, while anisotropic magnetoresistance (AMR) sensors experience a change in resistance when a current is passed through a magnetic conductor, depending on the relative angle between the current and the conductor's magnetization.
12) The is a ___________ micromachined accelerometer with suspended silicon structures anchored to the substrate which are free to move in the direction of the sensed acceleration.
13) In order to form more complex and larger MEMS structures, micromachined silicon wafers can be bonded to other materials in a process known as ____________.
14) An accelerometer measures linear acceleration. A magnetometer measures a magnetic field such as the Earth's magnetic field. Devices integrating both a magnetometer and an accelerometer in one package are called gyroscopes.
15) ____________materials are commonly used in MEMS sensors and actuators because they generate charges from an external stress or strain and generate force from an external electric field.
16) True or False: Thick Epitaxial Layer Manufacturing is a surface micro-machining process that combines variably thick and thin poly-silicon layers for structures and interconnections, enabling the integration of accelerometer and gyroscope mechanical elements in a single chip.
17) True or False: The LPS22HD is a high-resolution, digital output pressure sensor. The complete device includes a sensing element based on a piezoresistive Wheatstone bridge approach.
18) RF MEMS components are expected to replace traditional components in today's mobile phones, fostering much smaller phones and much lower power consumption. They can include which of the following components:
19) The ISM303DAC is a low-power system-in-package featuring a 3D digital linear acceleration sensor and a 3D digital magnetic sensor. What technology is the magnetic sensor based upon?
20) True or False: A temporary sacrificial layer is deposited between two structural layers when spaces or gaps must be incorporated between moveable components during the MEMS fabrication process. Once all of the structural layers are formed, the sacrificial layers are removed, releasing the components so that they are free to move.
21) The comb-drive-type of electrostatic actuator is commonly used in MEMS devices. These employ a large number of __________ that are actuated by applying a voltage between them.
22) The IMP34DT05 is a low-power, omnidirectional, digital MEMS microphone built with a sensing element and an IC interface. What type of sensing element does it have?
23) What is the unit of measurement for magnetometers?
24) True or False: Resonant MEMs are curretly found in applications such as detection of chemical and biological substances, measurement of rheological properties of fluids, and energy harvesting.