This is a 25-question quiz focusing on information regarding various aspects of film capacitors, including characteristics, classes, construction, applications, and specifications. To earn the Film Capacitor Badge, score 100% on the quiz, rate this document, and leave your feedback on the quiz as a comment. If you score 100% we will send you a prize!
1) In a film capacitor, which element is the film?
2) Which method is used to create metal layers in a film capacitor?
3) Which of the following is NOT a type of film used to create film capacitors?
4) Which type of material is best suited to make capacitors for DC Link applications?
5) Film capacitors are known for what unique property relative to other capacitor types?
6) For an electrical vehicle's on-board battery charger, which KEMET film capacitor family is ideal for use either across the line (X2) or in series with mains AC voltage?
7) True or False: Class-X Capacitors are designed to be connected from line-to-ground.
8) Where would you find a DC-Link capacitor?
9) True or False: If you need the smallest film capacitor possible, you should choose an unencapsulated design.
10) The KEMET C44P-R series capacitors are designed for Power Factor Correction (PFC) applications. What type of resin do they use?
11) Which of the following aspects are not necessary to calculate the expected life for a film capacitor like the KEMET C44P-R?
12) True or False: Paper capacitors, a form of film capacitors, experience a capacitance drop over time.
13) What transient voltage are Y2 capacitors tested to?
14) To which standard are capacitors built for automotive applications?
15) "Pulse capacitors," like KEMET's MKP Series (R75, R76), are film capacitors intended for what kind of applications or situations?
16) What kind of test is a non-destructive test that determines the capability of electrical insulation during over-voltage transients?
17) True or False: Class-Y Capacitors are designed to be connected from line-to-ground.
18) KEMET's F862-V054 Class-X capacitors are X2 EMI Suppression capacitors. What is their rated voltage?
19) Which KEMET film safety surface mount capacitor (Y2-class) utilizes an epoxy impregnated paper dielectric?
20) Which is an advantage of using a Paper (KEMET SMP253) Y2 surface mount capacitor over an X7R Ceramic capacitor?
21) In surface mount film capacitor's construction, what is the name of the area between the end-metallization and the active electrode layer?
22) True or False: The stacked film construction technique is better for peak-current handling.
23) What type of insulation does a Y1-class capacitor require to be considered a Y1-capacitor?
24) What type of metal is used for the metallization in DC-rated film capacitors?