Event has ended
Click the 'View Event Recording' button to view this webinar on demand!
Beyond the design, superior RF performance requires an understanding of the device’s application.
When designing a wireless device, excellent performance is critical and expected by the end user – it is true that how well the RF system works (or does not work) has a most profound impact on how users value the total system. Fundamentally, developers need to understand and evaluate device form factors, along with how and where the antenna will be used when designing the RF system. Equipped with this knowledge along with a thorough understanding of what protocol / frequency will be used (and why), the developer is ready to make important fundamental antenna choices. We will outline and overview antenna types, form factors, sizes and evaluate choices facing all RF developers in terms of antennas: What type, size, and what performance is achievable.
The goal of this webinar is to outline these factors along with antenna types – which ones can make the most sense – and of the one selected, what approach should be pursued to ensure that the best antenna performance possible is attached for each design.
What the attendee will learn:
- Overview of the RF design process
- Different key considerations and constraints to consider before selecting an antenna for an application
- Where and how will the device be used and implication on RF performance?
- What is the end-user’s expectation and how this will impact the design?
- Comparative review of common IoT frequencies and protocols
- When, where and why to use internal vs external antennas
- Comparative review of different antenna types and why to use each one
- Outline high level actions and practices that developers should pursue to optimize RF performance with off-the-shelf antennas
- Overview custom antennas and when custom makes sense
- Antenna design checklist
During this webinar Molex provided antenna sample kits to attendees for asking questions. The kit included:
- Bluetooth / Wi-Fi Antennas
- GNSS Antennas
- Near Field Communication (NFC) Antennas
- Cellular Antennas
- Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Antennas
- Industrial, Scientific and Medical (ISM) Antennas
- Combo Antennas (Wi-Fi, GPS, ISM, Cellular)
Matt McWhinney, is a Business Development Manager for the Antenna group in the Micro Solutions Business Unit at Molex. Matt has been in this role at Molex for a year and prior to this, Matt was in Product Management for over 15 years while he worked at Littelfuse and at Cooper Bussmann (Eaton). Matt is an Electrical Engineer.
When and Where
Start Time:Sep 18, 2019 9:00 AM CDT (America/Chicago)
End Time:Sep 18, 2019 10:00 AM CDT (America/Chicago)
Event Visibility & Attendance Policy:Open
- rscasny (Owner)