Hello world, I have been on this site for quite a while, but never used it, so here is my first post.

 

I just received my 3D printer, a Printrbot Jr (V2) from Printrbot on Tuesday 4th February 2014. The good news is that it all appears to be here and in good condition, the bad news is that it is a kit and I had to build it, which isn't fun when you have arthritis.

I painted the Plywood parts machine shop orange mostly to protect them from warping if it gets damp. Assembly has taken place over the past 3 days and I am now at the stage where I am about to plug it in and calibrate it. (It is hard to type with your fingers crossed). The PSU has fired up with no bangs (I made sure the Voltage was set to 230V as it was shipped from the US.) I must admit I am a bit scared to plug in the printer, it all seems so McGyver built, but I followed the instructions to the letter. Unfortunately the instructions seem to contradict themselves at times. That and the fact that I ordered the new aluminium extruder kit and have installed it trying to follow the instructions which shows the procedures for every other Printrbot printer except this one.

Finished-1.jpgFinished-2.jpgTemp_Y-axis_Tensioner.jpg

The last photo is of the temporary Y-axis tensioner that I made out of scraps from the project. The kit doesn't have a y axis tensioner, but strangely does have an x-axis tensioner. I will eventually print a better one once I get it all calibrated and working.

 

Ah well, here goes. If you hear a loud BOOM and see a mushroom cloud over Adelaide it means I must have got something wrong.

 

More to come...I hope :-)