I have assessing the current neck brace I use and taking measurements on my neck.
I am considering doing a full 3D model of my neck so that I can play around with different designs.
The key issues I need to address are keeping the head in place during fast movement events like whiplash.
So I need to look at the rotation points of the brace and assess the force distribution through the different parts.
On a side, note, I noticed that the printer head was leaving indentations on the plastic bed cover as it moves.
I am looking at adjusting the zero point for the z axis so that it stops a little above its current setting.
Great progress yesterday.
I sat down with the printer an looked over the nozzle area and I found the part I was looking for.
There is a bearing wheel that puts tension on the filament against the drive wheel.
This detail was NOT included in the directions. Luckily I was able to see how it should go together and adjusted the mechanism and viola, it printed just fine.
Sorry for the fuzzy image, but I was hand holding the camera while the printer was moving.
Here is the final print, using a tripod, and you can see the print.
I do have one question thought, how do I get the PLA residue off the bed?
I tried soap, water, alcohol, and its still there. Anyone have a solution?
So now that the printer works, I can begin to think about designing the neck brace.
I have begun to dig into the problem after the first print failed.
It appears that the factory did not clear the nozzle after they did the test print. I also had problems pushing the new filament down into the nozzle.
When I tried to feed the ejector, the drive wheel turned, but did not appear to be pushing filament like it should.
Plan for today is to clean the nozzle and see if I can get the drive wheel to push the filament so that it can print.
From what I have read, this appears to be a common problem so I will spend some time looking at the design to see if I can see anyway to improve the design.
Right now I am thinking of a reverse mechanism like Ben Heck used on his glue gun, but I need to get it working first.
After opening the box, I went to the website to get the unboxing instructions.
When I got to the directions, I quickly found that they were not for the printer I received.
I spent a lot of time searching the site until I found the right instructions for my printer, so I give the Website a C-, difficult to use.
Trying to follow the instructions, I had a bit of difficulty. As some of you know, I am currently suffering from a medication issue and even though I have a Masters degree and 40 years of engineering experience, I struggled to follow the terse directions. So the instructions also get a C-.
So I finally got the printer ready and downloaded the software.
Following the instructions, I discovered that all of the screen shots are from a different model of the software. User instructions also get a C-.
I did finally get everything set up to the point were I could use the manual controls and started a print, which I quickly aborted. I had forgotten to prepare the print surface.
Well the software did not like being told to stop, so it blew up, while the printer continued on its merry way. After a couple of attempts, I finally managed to get the printer stopped.
So while the printer comes assembled and ready to use, there should be a slight caveat. Some assembly still required.
If you are just a user wanting to get into a 3D printer, I would have a tech friend come over and set this printer up.
If you are really good a deciphering cryptic instructions, then you can probably put this one together, just be warned. I found it challenging with my current fuzzy head.
So now, here are the pictures:
Sorry about the fuzzy image, but I was not using a tripod.
Yes, this is with a tripod. Now, there are four well hidden zip ties that you have to cut and two wooden boards that come out.
After cutting the zip ties and removing the two shipping supports, you can put the bed down and begin to set the printer up for use.
Almost ready for hook up.
Ok, now it is ready for hook up.
Over all, I found the printer well made. The laser cut wood looks flimsy, but all of the mechanical parts are very well engineered and when I reset the printer, everything went to the right locations.
That is all for today.
Tomorrow, I will see if I can get the printer to do its first print.
Until then, sweet dreams of objects made in the future.
On a dark raining and glooming day, my world became much brighter when the UPS truck pulled up in front of the house.
What could it be, I said to myself. Then I saw the driver run up the driveway and place this big box on my doorstep.
Sure enough, it was from Element 14, my new PrintBot 2.0. Again, I want to thank Element 14 and the makers of PrintBot for this wonderful gift.
I will link in pictures later, but first I had to open the box and behold my new tool.
One slight snag, the final assembly instructions are on line. It makes sense, you only need them once, but it is an extra step.
So I took inventory and took pictures and then logged into Element 14 to let them know my printer arrived safe and sound.
Next stop, the PrintBot website for the assembly instructions.
By coincidence, the printer came from MCM electronics, where I had just visited a couple of weeks ago for their Tent Sale.
I got to see the PrintBot in action in the show room and picked up some nice tools inexpensively.
So this is all I have now, but rest assured, more will follow.