Information

This Roadtest has been done on an "Engineering Release" version of the product so there may be differences to the released product

As per the software the documentation looks smart and professional but needs a little polishing to get it perfect. The following might sound a little pedantic but please don't think that I'm being negative, my comments are there so things can be improved.

 

The first bit of documentation you'll see is the wrapper on the box. That's followed by a couple of quick notes on the flaps to help you get the printer out of the box.

The "quick start" guide repeats these instructions but mentioned a "plastic handle" on the accessories box, this box actually has two finger holes not a handle. There's also a mention of the warranty card on the card insert but a different reference to that being on the printer bed, although in my case a warranty card was not provided.

 

On the package content there is mention of a axis lubricant and tweezers, neither of these were in the package, I have yet to ascertain if this is an issue but I do have both a variety of lubricants ans tweezers if I need them. Again being slightly pedantic, it's not actually possible to check the contents of the packages until after unpacking which is the next step.

 

My next issue is slightly more significant, on step 4/5 it was not possible to open the door as the bed had not been homed to the front. This meant that the door latch had locked the door shut. Luckily I spotted this and released the catch (with a selected kitchen implement) rather than forcing the door open. I don't know if this was an issue with the long journey or if the printer had simply not been put away properly as the bed was right at the back.

RoboxDoorLatch.jpg

On step 5 there is a mention of a blue clip for the print head this was white in my version and the print head was not secured to the right as per the diagram but was in the middle. Again I don't know if this is an issue with the transatlantic journey that the printer had undertaken.

 

A couple of minor differences on the diagram in step 5 is that the microSD Card has a cover on the printer but not in the illustration, the power switch and power socket are the other way around to the diagram.

 

The explanation of the components is clear and everything exists as expected.

 

As I'd already installed the software from the web I thought I'd uninstall and re-install from the provided USB. The USB has software, models and manuals as well as linked which I checked worked ok.

RoboxUSB.png

The screenshot for the final step is also slightly out as there is an option to run the software from this menu. The USB stick had a version 1.1 of the manual on it with several pages reporting that they were not complete, the 1.2 version could be downloaded from the web and had these omissions fixed although they still said 1.1 on the front cover.

 

The software provided appeared to be a beta version "AutoMaker-beta-installer-windows.exe" but I thought I'd try it to see if the autoupdate worked. The instruction suggest that there will be a language option but on both the provided and downloaded version this does not exist.

AutoMakerAutoUpdate.png

The autoupdater worked successfully and downloaded and installed the version 1.00.17 from the web. As mentioned previously the account registration page was not displayed, later when looking at the USB stick there does seem to be a PDF warranty card. The USB stick also contains a manual but there is a newer version on the website.

 

I continued to the next step and attached the USB and power connectors as mentioned in the instructions the drivers load at this point. I turned on the power and the AutoMaker software prompted me to update the Roxobox Firmware.

AutoMakerAutoFirmware.png

The firmware rapidly installed and the printer status was reported.

AutoMakerStatus.png

There was a reel of white PLA and a reel of green ABS provided in sealed but resealable ziplock bags.

 

I thought I'd try the PLA so I cut the filament as described and fed it into the top slot, the instructions suggested these are numbered but that was not the case for my printer. I fed the filament in and there was a whirring noise but the filament did not get pulled it. I pulled it out and tried again, this time it was pulled so I clipped the reel into place and was told that the reel had been updated and no action was required.

 

Warning: Don't be too hasty to clip the reel in place, wait till it's finished pulling in the filament before clipping in the reel otherwise it won't let you continue. The printer is not very good at telling you that it's in this state and I did manage to get it into this situation a second time (without trying very hard). I turned it on and off then ejected and re-loaded the spool.

AutoMakerReadyToPrint.png

My first print failed to stick to the bed but luckily I spotted that and pressed the pause button in the middle of the reel. I tried purging the head and by the time that had completed both nozzles were sticking correctly. So I then tried to print a little version of the vase model that had been supplied. This also failed with one corner sticking up but otherwise a good print. So my next print I tried another test piece that was provided "test_150sq.stl", this also failed badly with the job not sticking at all.

2014-12-22 21.14.15.jpg

So a poor start, back to the manual to see if / how the bed needs cleaning and also to review the forums to see recommendations for getting PLA to stick to the bed.

 

The forums are relatively quiet but there is a good support site with detailed walk throughs for various processes such as changing a head or reattaching the Bowden tube. So in summary the documentation is good but some of it just needs a few updates.