I finally had some time to make some adjustments to the Printerbot Jr.
Unfortunately I changed two things at once, so I will need to run another test.
To recap, the last part print test I ran resulted in a product where the bottom layers did not fuse together, causing the layers to separate.
Following the suggestions from some of the members, I adjusted the injector temperature to 206 degrees.
That change will keep the filament at a higher temperature as it flows out of the nozzle and onto the printed part.
I also changed the federate to 50 instead of 100. The federate controls the amount of filament that is pushed into the injector. I now realize that I made a dumb mistake, I should have increased it, not decreased it.
The result was still a little stringy at the bottom, but the upper print looked to be more solid, so I am going to set the federate back to its default value to see if I get a better print.
So I am making progress towards getting a printed part with the correct level of fusion.
Like any tool, the 3D printer takes time to understand and use properly.
From my experience, you need to play with the settings to get things to the point were you like the print.
I was disappointed that there was not a note from the factory identifying the settings used for the test print the shipped.
Those settings would give me a data point for where the printer needed to be set up.
So do not expect an assembled and ready to run printer to be 100% ready. Yes it does print, but it is not quite ready yet.
I finally leveled my printer bed and verified that my tape covering had the proper clearance.
So I made a test print of a 3D mars map. At this scale, it was less than impressive, but I wanted to see how well it could be printed.
Now I noticed that the layers did not melt together. Does anyone have an idea as to why? I am using PLA that came with the printer, so I wonder if it is just too old or possibly absorbed too much moisture.
So now I can move on to designing my neck brace and see if it can be printed by the printerbot Jr.
After opening the box, I went to the website to get the unboxing instructions.
When I got to the directions, I quickly found that they were not for the printer I received.
I spent a lot of time searching the site until I found the right instructions for my printer, so I give the Website a C-, difficult to use.
Trying to follow the instructions, I had a bit of difficulty. As some of you know, I am currently suffering from a medication issue and even though I have a Masters degree and 40 years of engineering experience, I struggled to follow the terse directions. So the instructions also get a C-.
So I finally got the printer ready and downloaded the software.
Following the instructions, I discovered that all of the screen shots are from a different model of the software. User instructions also get a C-.
I did finally get everything set up to the point were I could use the manual controls and started a print, which I quickly aborted. I had forgotten to prepare the print surface.
Well the software did not like being told to stop, so it blew up, while the printer continued on its merry way. After a couple of attempts, I finally managed to get the printer stopped.
So while the printer comes assembled and ready to use, there should be a slight caveat. Some assembly still required.
If you are just a user wanting to get into a 3D printer, I would have a tech friend come over and set this printer up.
If you are really good a deciphering cryptic instructions, then you can probably put this one together, just be warned. I found it challenging with my current fuzzy head.
So now, here are the pictures:
Sorry about the fuzzy image, but I was not using a tripod.
Yes, this is with a tripod. Now, there are four well hidden zip ties that you have to cut and two wooden boards that come out.
After cutting the zip ties and removing the two shipping supports, you can put the bed down and begin to set the printer up for use.
Almost ready for hook up.
Ok, now it is ready for hook up.
Over all, I found the printer well made. The laser cut wood looks flimsy, but all of the mechanical parts are very well engineered and when I reset the printer, everything went to the right locations.
That is all for today.
Tomorrow, I will see if I can get the printer to do its first print.
Until then, sweet dreams of objects made in the future.