Implement new USB Type-C and Power Delivery technology with ST certified embedded software solution based on STM32.
The free STM32 USB-C and PD stack is compliant with USB Type-C 1.2 and USB Power Delivery 2.0 specifications enabling the rapid development in end-products, benefiting of the rich feature set of STM32 Cortex-M based MCU.
The new firmware stack, X-CUBE-USB-PD, initially based on STM32F0 entry level Cortex-M0, allows designers to upgrade their USB legacy devices to provide significant benefits to their end users. USB-C together with Power Delivery technology provides a reversible connector, the ability to carry all necessary data (including video or proprietary protocols), and up to 100W of power to supply or charge equipment connected to the USB port.
The successful STM32 family sets the standard for embedded processing, from the smartest phones and tablets to the smallest Internet-of-Things applications. “It offers the world’s widest range of price/power/performance options for the de facto industry-standard embedded-processor architecture, backed up by a comprehensive design ecosystem that includes no-cost software and low-cost development boards that minimize time to market and maximize ROI.”
Important benefit in terms of cost and PCB footprint is that solutions using STM32 with the stack require only a very simple Analog Front End comprising a few passive components, because it fully exploits STM32 embedded features such as comparators, ADCs, timers, and Direct Memory Access.
Other key technical features and benefits of ST’s solution include:
- Support for up to two USB-C ports (provider, consumer, or dual role);
- Cable-insertion detection, plug orientation;
- Identification of the role of the port partner attached and its current capability;
- Vbus Power negotiation via Power Delivery communication protocol;
- Vendor-Defined Messages are handled to identify device or cable ID or to manage Alternate Mode commands;
- Maximum flexibility and adaptability versus evolving specification changes, as firmware upgrades are possible during the application lifetime;
- The processing bandwidth and available resources allow the MCU to perform other application-specific tasks, such as power-management control, USB2.0 communication, and/or voltage and current monitoring, on top of its USB-C functionality;
- Software library provided in the X-CUBE-USB-PD software expansion is fully in line with STM32Cube APIs (HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer), ensuring easy switch across different STM32 series;
- Best time-to-market with market-proven solutions already deployed by industry leaders.
ST supports the new USB-C technology with an STM32 Nucleo Pack as a discovery and development tool to minimize design effort The pack includes a board a USB-C and PD expansion board and a full-featured USB Type-C cable The expansion board features two Dual-Role Power USB Type-C ports with a discrete Analog Front End
The STM32F0 USB-C and PD Nucleo Pack (P-NUCLEO-USB001) is available at a unit price of U$49.90.
More insights in this presentation