Skip navigation
I have now completed the mechanical build of the LewanSoul xArm Robotic Arm. Apart from a few quirky bits in the video (only) construction guide I was able to put the whole arm without too much difficulty. There are still a few aspects that I am not sure about but I assume these will be sorted out during the wiring and calibration processes, which are the next steps.       So far it has all been good and seems well worth the money that I spent on it.   Dubbie ...
There directions for building the xArm are only available on the internet as a sequence of YouTube videos, 15 in all. It is the first time I have used this approach for assembling a robot. The videos seem to be animations of the 3D CAD design and seem pretty good. Regretfully there are no written or audio instructions to go along with the video so you have to follow the video very closely. There is quite a nice piano accompaniment to the videos but after several rewinds and replays it does get o ...
Eventually managed to connect to my old Raspberry Pi 1B. Not entirely sure which thing fixed the problem but I created a ssh file with no file extension, as a text file, as Shabaz described (who knew you could do such a thing? And why would you want to? I've never needed to do it before in 37 years of computing) which didn't resolve the problem by itself. But I then went to my local WiFi hub/router thingy and noticed that there was nothing listed as being plugged into the Ethernet. I then realis ...
As it seems possible to setup the old Raspberry Pi 1B that I have borrowed I set about doing everything necessary.   I inserted the SD card into my newly discovered SD card slot in my laptop and low and behold, it was recognised and mounted. Unfortunately it then said the SD card had to be reformatted. As I had been given permission to wipe this card I did so and that seemed to work OK   Then I had to download an image of the Raspberry Pi operating system, which I think is called Deb ...
Although mobile robots are the bees knees when it comes to robotics I do also like robot arms. I have played with a MeArm of the type featured in a coming MeArm Maker RoadTest due to start sometime in March I think. I had a redesign of the MeArm done to use fewer servo motors so that it could be assembled by my students at the University for a first year engineering laboratory which was fun, where I ended up with hundreds of the mostly partially completed arms. I might even have a go at 3D print ...
As I am thinking of taking part in the Picasso Design Challenge that uses a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and not knowing very much about any Raspberry Pi I thought I would borrow one and see what I could do. I obtained an old one from my son which I am now attempting to get going.   I have searched some of the Element14 older material and managed to find out that I have a Raspberry Pi Model B (but not a B+). But so far I have not been able to find out how to connect it up so that I can at least turn ...
I am still working on my Tiny24hourMobot, which as the Question of Scale Project14 has finished I will now call TinyMoBot. As I do not yet have the smaller parts needed to make TinyMoBot fit inside the spray can lid I thought I would look at slightly larger alternatives. For Christmas decorations (the Merry Boxes and LEDs Challenge) I purchased some small glass cloches, although I never used them. I came upon one recently and realised that it was about the same size as the spray can lid I have b ...