Skip navigation
For my DCMotor Mobile Robot I have now 3D printed a small holder for the Nano and dual H bridge drive PCBs. I wanted to make this mobile robot as tidy and neat as I could so this is a good way of fixing in these two PCBs while at the same time making everything look neat. All it consists of is a flat plate that fits between the DC motor boxes in the bottom motor compartment of the mobile robot, which has the same spacing for the four holes so that it can be held securely with the existing screws ...
I took the Nano controller that I used with the small train from my SuperRobot and just reconnected it to the battery and DC motors on my DCMotorMobot. This is all connected outside the 3D printed shell so is just dragged or pushed along but I wanted to make sure that the motor driver H bridge PCB that I was using would work with these motors, as it didn't work very well with my SuperRobot. As you can see from the video below, it all worked fine.     I have purchased some Arduino N ...
Just came back to my house to find an envelope containing some stuff from Tariq and Element 14. Not entirely sure why they sent me some stuff as I am not a recent winner of Project14. Maybe it was for being a runner up or a presenter or just being nice. Whatever it was for it is gratefully received. Some stickers, a presenter14 T-shirt (which looks sufficiently large), a MKR Zero and a MKR connector PCB, all very good. I had seen the MKR Zero previously and was interested in it so I am very plea ...
I printed out the remaining part for my half dome head for the DC  Motor Mobile Robot and I decided that I did not really like it. It didn't fit together particularly well and it just didn't look very good. So, I decided to return to my original idea of a complete dome head. This was quite simple to do although it took 2 1/2 hours to print the dome. The new base plate took another hour. However, these two parts now fit nicely together with a good interference fit and I think it looks much b ...
The next step in my DC motor mobile robot was the 3D printing of the top dome part. The purpose of this part is to contain some sensors so that the mobile robot can obtain information about the environment in front of the chassis. By making this a rotating dome it enables the use of single dimension sensors such as ultrasonic, infrared or even laser rangefinder sensors, as well as having the potential to include one or more cameras, as well as appropriate displays to provide information to the u ...
The next step in my DC Motor Mobile Robot is to add the battery container. This is a 3D printer box that a slightly smaller 4 x AA battery holder fits into. I decided to use a smaller battery holder as the original one did not leave any room for putting some sides onto it. The downside of the smaller battery holder is that it doesn't have an ON/OFF switch but that should not really matter, once I have the controller added.   The battery holder fitted perfectly so what was needed next was a ...
Having purchased some of the Micro Metal GearMotors I decided to make a small mobile robot to try them out. As the motors are so neat I decided that I would try to make a mobile robot that was also 'neat' and try and make it look as nice as possible. Most of my builds are cobbled together and look rather haphazard so I thought I might try and make a nicer looking one with everything perfect, or as perfect as I can manage.   Below is the chassis that I have designed and 3D printed. I have c ...
In the recent Month of Robots competition I made something I called SuperRobot, but disapprovingly it wasn't so super as the DC motors and drivers I selected just didn't seem up to the task of moving the quite heavy chassis. I decided that I needed to get some better DC motors and gain a better understanding of the DC motor driver PCBs that are available for them. Enrico Miglino recently illustrated some neat and small DC motors with metal gears and I thought they looked so good that I would get ...