I plan on installing it just forward of my side stick, on the right-hand side of the cockpit. I have looked all over the Internet for an interconnection list or printouts but I can not seem to find one. So it seems that I am going to do this the old fashion way and create one myself. Luckily my panel had the mating connector and a pigtail on it. So this is what you will need the following:
- Your favourite DVM
- Wire stripper (thermal is a must), as this is Teflon covered wire. you can find then on eBay about $99.00+
- A voltage source (5vdc)
- The connector's "Contact Arrangement"
- assorted screwdrivers and other tools
- notepaper, computer, etc.
- First, grab my thermal stripper and strip the ends. Not only do I want to find where the wires go to but I want to also fill in the table on the left, for this the Connector's Contact Arrangement which is a must.
- Remove the SP1/SP2 Displays Lens Cap
- Remove the panel's light plate.
- Identify the wire and its connector's position.
- Flip the toggle switch from off to SP1
- recheck #3sb:#41
- Flip the toggle switch from off to SP2
- recheck #3 sb:#41
- Re-attach the panel's Light palate and Displays Lens Cap.
The Plan Phase 2:
First, attach the cable ends to a mini DB-15 connector (VGA connector).
Remember that I do not want my lighting circuits, anywhere near my logic so I will use three separate relays to drive them. Your processor selection will effect your build. At one end I have an Arduino Duemilanove (2009) or Mega and at the other end, I could use a TI Launchpad (MSP‑EXP430FR5969) product. The only thing to remember is that you will need some I/O pins and a USB interface, and depending on the amount of I/O I2C might be helpful for an I/O expander if you were short on digital I/O pins.
Now let's get our hands dirty. According to the Analysis, we will need the following I/O pins:
|9||POWER, LAMP, RETURN||LPRTN||4|
|10||POWER, LAMP (5vdc)||5|
|6||SWITCH, PROCESSOR - 1||SEL1||X||2|
|7||SWITCH, PROCESSOR - 2||SEL2||X||3|
|1||DISPLAY, ACTIVE PROCESSOR - 1||DAP1||X||13|
|11||DISPLAY, ACTIVE PROCESSOR - 2||DAP2||X||14|
|12||DISPLAY, ACTIVE PROCESSOR - COMMON||DAPC||15|
Keep tuned in, More to Come!
- Changed #3 to #4 Sept 14, 16
- Changed the order of table (Parts List) July, 18 18
Phase 3: Hardware.
Phase 4: Protocols, Communications
Phase 4: Software.
ps I guess I really don't have time to finish this blog post as I have to start getting ready for Cockpit Fest US in Lancaster Texas.
And you can also follow along on Facebook®