1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 143 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 6:03 PM by John Beetem Go to original post Branched from an earlier discussion.
      • 56. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
        morgaine

Excellent subject, interesting for education and enthusiasts alike.

So here's a question --- what is the most complex programmable logic device (in the most generic sense of the phrase but not including CPUs) on the market today (old is OK as long as the device is still sold) that can be fully examined and programmed with open source EDA tools?  Since no modern CPLDs let alone FPGAs are open enough for that, what's the best that can be done?

Addendum: The reason for the question is the unfortunate state of affairs outlined by John, which prevents a cheap ARM system from being used as a complete and standalone EDA platform for introductory EE education in programmable logic.  But if we reduced our expectations in terms of modernity and size of programmable logic devices that can be handled, perhaps there is still some milage available there?  Certainly a standalone Pi or other cheap ARM board dedicated to such a function would be a wonderful asset in the FOSS arsenal even if severely limited in device capability.

• 57. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
          John Beetem

Morgaine Dinova wrote:

So here's a question --- what is the most complex programmable logic device (in the most generic sense of the phrase but not including CPUs) on the market today (old is OK as long as the device is still sold) that can be fully examined and programmed with open source EDA tools?  Since no modern CPLDs let alone FPGAs are open enough for that, what's the best that can be done?

I had high hopes for the Cypress PSoC5 when I first heard about it, especially after I heard the highly-spirited  Cypress CEO T.J. Rogers talk about at the 2009 ARM conference.  The PSoC5 has a bunch of digital blocks, each of which can have two "12C4" PLDs.  I got discouraged when I found out that they didn't provide enough information in the tech refs to program the routing matrix, insisting I use their proprietary tools.  Perhaps this has changed with newer tech ref editions -- I haven't checked lately.  I always ask about this when I get an opportunity.  It could be a pretty nifty platform for digitial exploration if you could get at all the architectually-defined features.

One thing I particularly liked in Dr. Roger's 2009 presentation was when he mentioned that the basic FPGA patents held jealously by Xilinx and Altera were about to expire, leaving the field wide open to futher innovation.  So who knows?  T.J. is notoriously unpredicatable.

In terms of what can be done right now, there's always Wheeler's Law: ""All problems in computer science can be solved by another level of indirection".  It's an awful way to do it, but you could take a large FPGA and dedicate 80-90% of its LUTs* to form a routing matrix implemented as an array of multiplexers implemented using distributed RAM cells.  The remaining LUTs would be RAMs for implementing n-input logic functions.  I believe you can update the contents of distributed RAM cells over JTAG using Xilinx documentation, so you can update both the logic function and the routing.  Since all routing would be through RAM cells instead of pass transistors, it would be way slower than using an FPGA properly, but as a teaching tool it's "something that can be done now".

I think I heard of this being done some decades ago, but I thought it sounded too silly to remember the details.  Actually, it was I who was silly, thinking FPGA vendors would see the wisdom of opening up their configuration formats.

Glossary:

LUT = Look-Up Table.  Most FPGAs implement logic functions with small RAMs, each of which implements an n-input arbitrary logic function using brute-force table lookup, where n is 3 to 6 depending on the FPGA.

• 58. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
            michaelkellett

I think we are perhaps confusing our aims a little here.

To learn basic digital logic there is nothing to beat gettting going with a breadboard and  a handful of 74 or 4000 series chips. You can see all the nodes with a cheap scope and you don't need any other tools except a pencil and paper. If you have the determination you can make some interesting stuff.

I'm not at all happy with this "teaching" talk re the RPi - I thought it was meant to be about Discovery, Invention and Improvisation such as we saw in the early days of micros and cheap home computers like the Spectrum. So I was assuming that if someone adds an FPGA to their RPi thay want to able do something exciting with it  - we can't all play with Ferraris but we can all be let  loose with a decent modern FPGA !

With regard to open source tools - as far as I can tell there aren't any worth using and the tools from the FPGA vendors need big computers to run, Linux is no problem but you need lots of RAM and lots of hard disk. No one in their right mind would want to run a  VHDL simulator doing anything much on tiny computer like the RPi (just too slow). So we may as well accept the world as it is, and right now that means FPGA simulation and compilation on a PC or MAC.

Michael Kellett

• 59. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
              Roger Wolff

The question is: Should VHDL simulators run so slowly as they do? I think not.

SHOULD a VHDL compiler require a big computer? I think not.

If say I want to calculate pi to 1 billion decimal places I inherently need around 1Gb of memory. Or 512Mb if I go BCD. But as FPGA configurations fit in a few megabytes even for quite large ones, there is no inherent reason to that an FPGA compile needs to use large amounts of memory.

The vendor's FPGA tools have become big clunky pieces of software because they were incrementally developed by lots of different programmers.

A good Open source redesign would yield a much sleeker program.

• 60. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                michaelkellett

@Roger,

As you protest that an open source FPGA design toolset would be so much better than the efforts made by several different teams of pretty good people in the FPGA industry I'm reminded of  a passage from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice:

During a discussion about playing the piano, Lady Catherine remarks, “If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.”

Michael Kellett

• 61. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                  John Beetem

Michael Kellett wrote:

To learn basic digital logic there is nothing to beat gettting going with a breadboard and  a handful of 74 or 4000 series chips. You can see all the nodes with a cheap scope and you don't need any other tools except a pencil and paper. If you have the determination you can make some interesting stuff.

While you are most certainly entitled to your opinion, the first thing I thought of when reading your comment was "you're living in the past, man".  I've designed logic that way, and IMO it's a PITA compared to a good simple clean CAD system with an FPGA target.  With a breadboard, if you make a mistake you have to rip up and reconnect the wires, and it's way too easy to hook up the wrong wire.  Any significant project is going to end up with a nasty rat's nest.  In comparison, with a good simple clean CAD system a learner can make nice logic diagrams and/or write Boolean equations and play with them on the screen to get a good idea whether the design works before downloading to an FPGA to press real Springwerk and watch actual Blinkenlights.

N.B. I don't know of any good simple clean CAD systems available at this time.  Most FPGA design systems available from vendors are very complex and IMO quite daunting to someone trying to learn logic, and each release gets more complex.  JMO/YMMV

• 62. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                    Roger Wolff

Yeah, in Dutch we have the saying "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal". Litterally the best shippers are on the shore, meaning it is easy to critisize those who actually have to DO it.

And I'm sure there would be a few "snags" to work out when you'd do things again. Some of which would require more memory than I'd guess now. But having seen Quartus start up, you know immediately that there is too much bloat, as just the gui alone already takes a gigabyte of memory.

A design program like eagle has a commandline. Most don't use that. But it makes sense for design programs like eagle, mentor chip design and quartus. That means that your gui can remain quite lightweight. In eagle for instance, the gui need only startup a "show the current schematic" subprogram if the "schematic" window is open.

• 63. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                      michaelkellett

@John,

I don't advocate breadboarding as a cost effective way of designing complex logic for commercial purposes but it is still a good way to learn. Simulating on paper and  implementing with physical parts teaches many lessons - not the least of them that thinking before doing can save a lot of time. Although many of my designs use FPGAs I still use gate level logic chips from time to time - it isn't the past yet.

@Roger,

I was teasing you of course and happy to learn the Dutch way of saying it !

I agree that the vendor systems do seem very bloaty - I use Aldec HDL for design/simulation (about 300Mbyte install image) and Lattice Diamond for synthesis/debugging (2Gbyte zipped install image). There is a lot of overlap - Diamond actually includes a version of the Aldec tool and the Aldec tool loads up its own versions of the Lattice libraries.

I find the Lattice toolset to be the easiest to use (which might just be familiarity) of the vendor tools I've tried - it's certainly no more daunting to use than running Linux !

Michael Kellett

• 64. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                        John Beetem

Michael Kellett wrote:

With regard to open source tools - as far as I can tell there aren't any worth using and the tools from the FPGA vendors need big computers to run, Linux is no problem but you need lots of RAM and lots of hard disk.  No one in their right mind would want to run a VHDL simulator...  So we may as well accept the world as it is, and right now that means FPGA simulation and compilation on a PC or MAC.

Digital CAD tools, including FPGAs, used to be my main research area a couple of decades ago.  I ran into a lot of really smart people who could have done amazing things with FPGA tools and FPGA applications if they hadn't been locked out by the vendors.  Sure, you can create generic algorithms and architectures and publish papers about them, and even get tenure doing such things, but it's nowhere as much fun as making things that really work so the kinds of visionaries who need that thrill will quite simply work on something else.

Xilinx does a good job with their tools, and with skill you can write Verilog that will produce hardware that's reasonably close to what you want.  OTOH, if you make a minor change to the Verilog and suddenly the tools want an extra 20 LUTs, good luck trying to track down what the synthesizer did.

I once asked an obnoxious question at an FPGA workshop related to whether it's a good idea for a silicon vendor to insist that you only use their tools.  I asked the group "How many of you have used an Intel processor?"  (Everybody raised their hands.)  Then I asked "How many of you have used an Intel compiler?"  (Maybe one or two hands -- who remembers PL/M?)

In terms of accepting the world as it is, I'll quote GBS:

George Bernard Shaw wrote:

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

... or unreasonable woman, of course.

• 65. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                          John Beetem

Michael Kellett wrote:

@Roger,

As you protest that an open source FPGA design toolset would be so much better than the efforts made by several different teams of pretty good people in the FPGA industry I'm reminded of  a passage from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice:

During a discussion about playing the piano, Lady Catherine remarks, “If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.”

Nice quote!  But the FPGA lockout reminds me of two lines from Tom Lehrer's "Whatever Became of Hubert":

Tom Lehrer sang:

Second fiddle's a hard part, I know,

When they don't even give you a bow.

For the record, I'm not saying open source tools would have better quality than vendors' tools.  I'm saying opening the programming bit streams would open up new applications (such as seriously-reconfigurable computing) and allow far more people to learn about FPGAs and become proficient in using them, resulting in far more FPGA chips being sold.

• 66. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                            morgaine

In any event, my question was prompted by a much less ambitious goal, a desire to have (and to help in developing) an open source EDA tool that is able to read, design for, and program some elementary programmable logic device, no matter how old and basic, as log as it's still being manufactured and sold.  That's a far cry from other worthy goals like better quality than vendors' proprietary software or less bloaty or more efficient.

Nevertheless, it would be a start, and at least for some small projects and for some types of education, I'm sure that such open tools would be perfectly adequate, no matter how unimpressive the target device.  And from small seeds can grow impressive trees.

But to do that, one first has to identify some openly documented target device, and it seems that our list of possible candidates is empty at this point.

• 67. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                              Roger Wolff

read: http://lekernel.net/fpga_toolchain_talk.pdf

Some attempts have been made. I found several links to ulogic.com which was said to have reverse engineered a xilinx bitstream. Site has vanished.

• 68. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                                morgaine

I doubt that there is any future in an approach that relies on reverse-engineering a bitstream format.  All it would take is a small change in the format for the company's next device and you're back to square one.  While in principle your tool would still work for the old device as long as it remains in production, it's quite a bleak prospect, with no future path.

Maybe the idea is doomed until semiconductor fabrication can be done by enthusiasts / open community.

• 69. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                                  John Beetem

Morgaine Dinova wrote:

But to do that, one first has to identify some openly documented target device, and it seems that our list of possible candidates is empty at this point.

I've spent way too much time thinking about this over the last few days, and here are the best ideas I have so far:

1.  The last time I looked, it was pretty simple to find the registers that program the "12C4" PLDs in a Cypress PSoC5, which is an ARM Cortex-M3 with an attached array of digital and analogue goodness.  (There's also an 8051-based PSoC3.)  So even if you can't figure out a way to re-program the digital interconnect, you could have a fixed routing of one or more "12C4" PLDs to the I/O pins and use the ARM to talk to a RasPi for reconfiguration and internal signal probing.  This gives you one or more PLDs, with the programmer is on the same chip.

2.  As I suggested before, you could take a medium size FPGA, say a Xilinx XC3S200A, and use its LUTs as ROMs for storing logic functions and routing.  Xilinx documents how to update the contents of ROMs and registers (but not the routing).  Without a lot of effort, I think it's possible to fit in a 30-cell PLD with a simple, brute-force architecture that would permit simple tools.  Yes, you're only using a couple percent of the 200A's logic resources, but that's the nature of general-purpose computing: you spend a lot of energy getting data to the compute engines and very little doing actual computations.

The idea here is that students could get started with the PLD-within-an-FPGA with simple, clean tools that don't get in the way of learning about logic.  The students who blast through this and want to make something incredible can use the same FPGA development board and Xilinx tools to do big things, but you don't have to try to teach Verilog/VHDL and the Xilinx tool chain to everybody (including the instructors).  The US$55 XC3S200A-based XuLA-200 board form XESS  looks like a promising platform.  One thing very nice about this board is that the PIC that interfaces between USB and JTAG has GPL free-as-in-liberty software, so you can talk to it from any USB host, including RasPi, instead of being digitally handcuffed to an x86 host.  And if you want to add features like probing internal registers using JTAG you can update the PIC software with new features.

So there's a couple of ways to do this, and others may appear.  This means it's worth while to finish putting together that simple, clean CAD system I keep talking about.  We'll see what other platforms are ready when I have something working.

• 70. Re: Role for FPGA or CPLD with Raspberry Pi
                                    John Beetem

Morgaine Dinova wrote:

I doubt that there is any future in an approach that relies on reverse-engineering a bitstream format.  All it would take is a small change in the format for the company's next device and you're back to square one.  While in principle your tool would still work for the old device as long as it remains in production, it's quite a bleak prospect, with no future path.

Maybe the idea is doomed until semiconductor fabrication can be done by enthusiasts / open community.

The basic problem is that the vendors see no advantage in opening up their formats to the world, and a number of disadvantages.  They like to tell prospects that their format is double-secret-has-never-been-hacked, or else prospects fear that their designs will be stolen.  However, I've heard over the decades that the bit format is not that hard to reverse-engineer.  The problem is that if you publish the results you could be sued.

Now that the principal Xilinx and Altera patents have expired, maybe an Asian semiconductor manufacturer will create a line of cheap FPGAs with an open bitstream so they don't have to write tools.  The problem is that nobody will buy the parts until there are tools, and nobody will create the tools until there are parts (or at least an architecture).  If it were as cheap to make ICs as PCBs or 3-D printed thingummies, the open community could do this themselves.  Actually, it is cheap to make ICs -- just use an FPGA and the vendor's tools, so there's not really an incentive to do this.

So here's my plan: make that simple, clean CAD system and target whatever I can, be it Cypress PSoC5 or PLD-within-an-FPGA.  This at least gets the tool ball rolling, and I'll have the fun of helping kids get into logic.  "Logic!  Why don't they teach Logic in these schools?" asks the Old Professor in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

And who knows?  Maybe reverse-engineering for the purpose of using a manufacturer's product for the purpose intended by the manufacturer will become legal -- at least in some country -- and the bitstream formats will become legally hackable.  Or one minor vendor facing bankrupcy will open their format as a "Hail Mary" pass, and the others will fearfully follow.  After all, who expected Broadcom to open-source their OpenGL "driver"? 

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next