3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 6:44 AM by sgup

PSoC 3+5 Development kit

FredM

I have been developing using the original PSoC parts, and have dozens of Cypress development boards, and several CY3215-DKCY3215-DK with ICE etc..

I am looking at getting kit for the PSoC 3 - particularly the CY8CKIT-001.  When I develop for the original PSoC's I use Flex Pods, so that the PSoC can be put into the actual circuit I am developing, Or I use the EVAL-POD's because these are more robust for early stage development,

There does not seem to be any equivalent parts available for PSoC 3 or 5.. One has the CY8CKIT-001 board and this has one PSoC CY8C38 Family Processor Module, but I have not even seen spare processor modules available.

I would really like to incorperate PSoC 3 into my next project - but I must have the ability to put the PSoC into my development board - As a small design consultancy, I often do not wish to incur the expense of having a SMD prototype board made for early stage development or evaluation, so having a 'pod' which makes the PSoC pins accessible on 0.1" matrix would be ideal.

If I must, I will design and produce my own pods for this purpose -

But first I want to know..

1.) Does Cypress produce Flex-Pods or Eval-Pods for these parts, that I have missed?

2.) Is the CY8C38 Family Processor Module available seperately anywhere?

• Re: PSoC 3+5 Development kit
          sgup

Hi Fred,

PSoC3 is different and more advanced as compared to PSoC1. PSoC3 parts have on chip debugging capability so no POD is required for the debugging. All pins of chip are available on connectors in CY8CKIT-001.

1.) Does Cypress produce Flex-Pods or Eval-Pods for these parts, that I have missed?

Ans: flex PODs or Evel-Pods are not needed as every part has debug capability.

2.) Is the CY8C38 Family Processor Module available seperately anywhere?

Ans: Yes it is. KIT part number is CY8CKIT-009. It is available at following link:

http://www.cypress.com/?rID=38240

Best regards,

Sachin

nik

Hi Sachin,

as I understood Fred Mundell, the 'pod' he searched  for was meant as an adapter (e.g. a small pcb with the psoc soldered onto)  which allows connections to a development board IN A 0.1" GRID or MATRIX.

In addition to this question I have a few questions regarding the use of psoc creator, but would prefer to prepare these offline.

Best regards,

nik

sgup

Hi Nik,

The reason we used to have POD and foot kit for PSoC1 devices is there were OCD parts available only in 100 pin package. Also, debugging pins had to be connected to ICE. In PSoC3 and PSoC5, every part is a OCD part. So, even if a adapter is needed similar to POD and Foot kit in PSoC1, to be placed on some bread board or GRID, it can be done on bare PCB in no more than few minutes.

Feel free to write to me for any questions on Creator.

Thanks,

Sachin