12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 4:29 PM by agrahambell

How do I "un-table" pasted text ?

When I paste certain things into the editor, it automatically and incorrectly creates a table out of the text.

Here's an example:

[0.799351] input: ti-tsc as /devices/ocp.3/44e0d000.tscadc/TI-am335x-tsc/input/input0
      [1.415102] input: bb_view_gpio_keys.8 as /devices/bb_view_gpio_keys.8/input/input1

Note that it's invalidly mangled four spaces between the opening [ and the first number into a second column.

There are various options to format the table, merge cells and so on.

What's missing is a way to tell it that I don't want a table, just plain old text.

Help?

• Re: How do I "un-table" pasted text ?
          mcb1

Iain

Would using plain highlighting work.?

mark

That's actually what I was trying to do, see my last post in this thread http://www.element14.com/community/thread/31051?start=15&tstart=0

As far as I can tell, whatever you do, even trying to paste into an existing quote, just gets a table within that container which only makes things worse

In a real word processor there would be a 'convert table to text' or similar option, and that's essentially what I'm looking for.. Or a way to disable the auto-formatting would work too.

mcb1

I tried copying your text, pasting into notepad, removing the extra spaces, then pasting back and it was fine.

I suspect its picking up some strange characters which is triggering something else.

But you're quite right, plain text should be stripping out any formatting. ... otherwise its flavoured text.

Mark 

No strange characters here. That's easily verifiable with a hex editor. It really is simply four spaces.

So something is guessing and getting it wrong.

Yes, I could have pasted it into something like notepad that's not trying to be smart, remove the spaces and retry.  Without knowing the criteria the editor here is using to guess, that quickly becomes a horrible trial and error process, and really it's too many hoops to jump through even just once.

Personally I really dislike software that tries to be 'helpful' by guessing. Even with only two choices, it's going to be wrong 50% of the time...  add more choices and it'll be wrong more often.  Much better then to just let the user make the choice.  Lets face it, the software hasn't got to the point where it knows what I'm thinking... yet

mcb1

Iain

I copied your text, removed the tab and inserted the 4 spaces.

If I copy it from Notepad by Highlighting, right select and Copy, then come here and right click and select Paste it looks fine.

[    0.799351] input: ti-tsc as /devices/ocp.3/44e0d000.tscadc/TI-am335x-tsc/input/input0
                          [    1.415102] input: bb_view_gpio_keys.8 as /devices/bb_view_gpio_keys.8/input/input1
                          [    2.886874] input: HID 04d9:1400 as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/0003:04D9:1400.0001/input/input2
                          [    2.901554] hid-generic 0003:04D9:1400.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [HID 04d9:1400] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1/input0
                          [    2.928650] input: HID 04d9:1400 as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.1/0003:04D9:1400.0002/input/input3
                          [    2.942749] hid-generic 0003:04D9:1400.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [HID 04d9:1400] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1/input1

If I repeat and use Ctrl V to paste it, then I get the table thing.

[0.799351] input: ti-tsc as /devices/ocp.3/44e0d000.tscadc/TI-am335x-tsc/input/input0
                          [1.415102] input: bb_view_gpio_keys.8 as /devices/bb_view_gpio_keys.8/input/input1
                          [2.886874] input: HID 04d9:1400 as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/0003:04D9:1400.0001/input/input2
                          [2.901554] hid-generic 0003:04D9:1400.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [HID 04d9:1400] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1/input0
                          [2.928650] input: HID 04d9:1400 as /devices/ocp.3/47400000.usb/47401c00.usb/musb-hdrc.1.auto/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.1/0003:04D9:1400.0002/input/input3
                          [2.942749] hid-generic 0003:04D9:1400.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [HID 04d9:1400] on usb-musb-hdrc.1.auto-1/input1

mark

edit....when its saved it looks the same but is definitely a table before its saved.

John Beetem

I find that if I want to do anything out of the ordinary with formatting -- like horrors! making a link look the way I want -- it's best to go into HTML mode and edit the ASCII source code.

Matt Collinge

This is something I've come across on Jive's site (the vendor who provides the platform that element14 Community runs on) when I've been pasting in Java code. It's quite annoying.. I tend to stick it in Notepad++, select all the text, and hit Shift+Tab to remove the spaces/indentation.

They use a customised version of TinyMCE for the editor, but I've been unable to try the same thing on there to see if it's an issue due to McAfee blocking some of the JavaScript. I'll give it a go tonight from home & then raise a case for Jive.

Thanks,

Matt.

Dudley Nelson

I've investigated this.

The short answer is that the RTE editor thinks you are pasting from Excel and puts it into a table as a result.

The reason it thinks you are pasting from excel is because of the consistent four spaces - excel clipboard handling separates cells with a tab character. But tabs are not allowed in the RTE field, so it replaces the tab with four spaces before it performs the past.

In the post-paste processing, the code looks through what was pasted to decide if it should be automatically applying formatting. It sees a collection of lines all containing four contiguous spaces and (incorrectly) assumes this to be a paste from Excel.

However, there is no simple fix here that doesn't risk breaking excel handling.

What this needs is either a "paste without formatting" option, or an additional option on tables that strips the table formatting out (which is what you've asked for!)