85 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 9:26 PM by CadSoft Guest

New eagle licensing -> goodbye Eagle

SpacedCowboy

So, I've used Eagle now for over 10 years. In all that time I've always upgraded to the latest version, but that's just stopped.

I have multiple computers, and I use multiple locations. I've always only ever used one instance of Eagle at a time, and I've never given the license details to anyone else. Unfortunately, the latest way in which Eagle is licensed is way too restrictive for me to work with the product as I have done for over a decade now.

The problem is two-fold:

• You are only allowed to install on 2 (which is pitiful!) computers if you have a single user license.
      • You cannot use a flexlm-based license for a single-user license.

The combination of those two things means I can't duplicate the setup I currently have, so this is the classic example of how proprietary software owners can screw you over without you having any recompense or workaround, despite you being a paying and loyal customer for an extended period of time. I don't consider cracking the software to be an adequate workaround.

So, if I'm going to have to spend $$$ in the thousands, I'll take a good look at the competition first, and even at the freebies like kikad. Eagle has major shortcomings anyway - no "bus routing" and the differential pair support is poor at best. I think, with this decision, cadsoft couldn't have done more to help along the freebies, and lose the people who might some day splash the cash and go for the pro option.

A primary rule for any software "upgrade" is "don't break the existing workflows". Eagle v7 is completely useless to me, not because of its feature-set, not because of any price issues, but because the management is being pants-on-head moronic about how it goes about licensing. Licensing, of all things.

Very disappointed.

• Re: New eagle licensing -> goodbye Eagle
          patweston

I agree.I have a 5 user licenses, been a user for 7 years, users at different locations and no VPN. Now I have to go through a series of handstands to use what I bought. BS. My time is better spent on make money and not wasting it. I've been mulling over Altium, which incidentally imports Eagle files, it costs a bunch but this maybe the push I need.

philpem

On 18/07/14 22:01, Simon Gornall wrote:

So, I've used Eagle now for over 10 years. In all that time I've always

upgraded to the latest version, but that's just stopped.

I have multiple computers, and I use multiple locations. I've always

only ever used one instance of Eagle at a time, and I've never given the

license details to anyone else. Unfortunately, the latest way in which

Eagle is licensed is way too restrictive for me to work with the product

as I have done for over a decade now.

I absolutely agree. Part of the reason I picked EAGLE was because of the

relatively liberal licensing policy. "Install on as many PCs as you

like, as long as they all belong to you personally and only one PC is

running EAGLE at a time". Great!

The reason I switched to EAGLE in the first place was a competitor

product which employed node-locked licensing. My PC failed, and they

demanded I buy the product again to get a new license key. I declined.

Some months later, they went out of business...

What is the EAGLE hostID generated from? The motherboard? The hard

drive? The partition serial numbers? The network card MAC address?

If my network card, motherboard or whatever the HostID is based on

fails, do I need to buy a new license? These type of license policies

are very clearly profit-oriented and anti-consumer, and tells your

customers that you don't trust them.

The problem is two-fold:

• You are only allowed to install on 2 (which is pitiful!) computers if

you have a single user license.

• You cannot use a flexlm-based license for a single-user license.

• If your PC (or in the case of some license managers, your network

card) fails, you can't use the software and have to buy a new license,

or at least wait for a new license key.

• If your PC is stolen (very common for laptops), you lose one of your

two licenses...

• Some of us have more than one PC. I have a desktop in my office, an

SFF desktop in the lab, a netbook and a full-size laptop. So I'd have to

buy two separate EAGLE licenses (or a five-machine site license) just to

have enough "single user" seats to use EAGLE on all these machines, even

though I only use one at a time!

The combination of those two things means I can't duplicate the setup I

currently have, so this is the classic example of how proprietary

software owners can screw you over without you having any recompense or

workaround, despite you being a paying and loyal customer for an

extended period of time. I don't consider cracking the software to be an

adequate workaround.

So, if I'm going to have to spend $$$ in the thousands, I'll take a good

look at the competition first, and even at the freebies like kikad.

Kicad is starting to look really good - CERN have been putting a lot of

work in. I just don't like the lack of continuous forward/back

annotation (one of EAGLE's killer features).

A primary rule for any software "upgrade" is "don't break the existing

workflows". Eagle v7 is completely useless to me, not because of its

feature-set, not because of any price issues, but because the management

is being pants-on-head moronic about how it goes about licensing.

Licensing, of all things.

Agreed. Hierarchical design was one of the features I really wanted to

try (especially if I can reuse hierarchical design units), and I'd

gladly have paid the upgrade fee for it.

But with these licensing changes, I will not be upgrading, and I'll be

looking at competing products (of which there are many).

For corporate customers this probably won't be an issue (most of them

probably buy enough 'seats' to get a server-based floating license

anyway). But for hobbyists? This is going to be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

--

Phil.

philpem@philpem.me.uk

http://www.philpem.me.uk/

michaelkellett

I'm not (and never have been) an Eagle user but this licensing horror is so familiar. I have at least 6 serious bits of licensed software and only one of them supports a dongle (one of the others does if you pay extra). All the others use these silly machine locked licenses with issues arising at every upgrade and if a computer should die etc etc.

At least the dongle can be moved about easily.

I sometimes feel I should give up on paying and just use a pirate copy with less hassle.

I thought it was generally agreed that it was silly restrictions on legal music downloads that gave piracy such a foothold - why do software companies insist on repeating the same mistake ?

Currently I use EasyPC from Number One Systems, cheaper than Eagle (much) and pretty good - never had any licensing issues.

MK

CadSoft Guest

Am 19.07.2014 10:37, schrieb Michael Kellett:

so familiar. I have at least 6 serious bits of licensed software and

only one of them supports a dongle (one of the others does if you pay

And if all of them had dongles, including EAGLE, you could carry 7 seven

dongles around. What a wonderful imagination. If if one of these dongles

breaks, you'll have to wait for replacement. Even more wonderful.

CadSoft had a perfect single user licensing scheme. Why on earth

couldn't they just keep it as it was, after adding the additional

options for volume users?

Rene

michaelkellett

"And if all of them had dongles, including EAGLE, you could carry 7 seven

dongles around. What a wonderful imagination. If if one of these dongles

breaks, you'll have to wait for replacement. Even more wonderful."

I'd still only have 6 - I don't use Eagle

I never said that dongles were perfect but I find them a good deal more user friendly than node locked licenses. Of course different people have different issues and one size doesn't fit all. The best software suppliers manage to offer a range of options so that their customers are happy and their IP is still protected.

In my experience dongles fail a lot less often than computers.

Ideally I'd like a system that didn't rely on node locking, dongles, access to internet etc etc but there doesn't seem to be one. Trust systems seem to work OK with some software but not with other, even similar, products.

MK

anweid

Am 19.07.2014 14:24, schrieb Michael Kellett:

In my experience dongles fail a lot less often than computers.

Yes. Lots of years ago, CadSoft DID use dongles (I think I remember

version 2.1 in the circuit board lab at University). These were then

cracked by 'The Electric Force Hamburg' (I think they were called), and

due to some clever crack detection tricks from CadSoft, the company even

found its way into some rather amusing press releases (amusing to me, at

least).

At my institute, I started working with EAGLE 3 (I think), using a

dongle connected in series to AutoCAD's dongle. I darkly remember always

having to switch on the printer before starting EAGLE or AutoCAD,

because otherwise, one of them would complain about 'dongle not found'...

Only AFTER CadSoft threw away the dongle (was it version 3.5?) did we

start buying licenses with MORE than one seat (yes, with the possibility

to copy illegaly, we PAID for more seats - probably because I'm stupid).

Otherwise, we would have needed to always mount/unmount dongles for use

with the other PCs of the same user (mainly office/lab at that time),

which nobody wanted to do.

Andreas Weidner

philpem

On 21/07/14 22:18, Andreas Weidner wrote:

Only AFTER CadSoft threw away the dongle (was it version 3.5?) did we

start buying licenses with MORE than one seat (yes, with the possibility

to copy illegaly, we PAID for more seats - probably because I'm stupid).

Otherwise, we would have needed to always mount/unmount dongles for use

with the other PCs of the same user (mainly office/lab at that time),

which nobody wanted to do.

I've worked at places where the IT policies are written along the lines of:

• For unprotected software, there must be enough licences to cover

the machines the software is installed on (even if it's an

N-concurrent-users license, they go by machines).

• Compliance of this is strictly controlled (IT keep the install CD,

logs are kept of installs and uninstalls, and generally it's a ton of

paperwork).

• Dongles are allowed for single-user licenses, the software goes on

the "anyone can install it" list, on the basis that the dongles limit

the number of concurrent users to that which was licensed.

• Floating licenses are to be used where not cost prohibitive but a

trial license must be obtained to allow IT to check that the license

server software doesn't conflict with the other license servers.

According to an IT manager at a former employer, it's so that if a

disgruntled employee reports the company to the BSA or FAST for a

license audit (whether true or false), they can wave the licenses at

them and say "nope, we can't possibly be in non-compliance, now please

go away!"

So in short, it's a CYA measure: "We have five machines but likely only

one in use at a time, but we'd better get licenses for all five just in

case more than one is in use and we accidentally violate the licence."

--

Phil.

philpem@philpem.me.uk

CadSoft Guest

While I am just a hobbyist now (with the hobby license) since I retired, I

still work with lots of folks that want to know what design software I

like.  I think I am going to stay with version 6 (no, I have not "loaned"

my license to anybody or installed it on more that one machine (does having

it installed on the same machine twice - once for XP and once for Win7

(dual boot) count as 2 machines?).  Looks like V6 for me.  One of the big

problems lots of companies run into is they spend so much time trying to

block the pirates (who will find a way around anyway), that all they do is

irritate the legitimate users who are actually paying them money.

mikey

--

Web access to CadSoft support forums at www.eaglecentral.ca.  Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

kikoun

Hello everyone,

The protection of his software is a big challenge for a company. I'm really aware of that since I work in a company that design electronics but also is a software editor (software for industry). I think that Cadsoft needs to change their protection system, because they wouldn't spend so many week of work to do it. Maybe it was for technical reasons (maximum license number ?), maybe because they discover that too many eagle users use it with out license.

(It happened to my company: our  software was protected by dongle (I will not tell the brand of this dongle here) and 3 years ago, we found that you could buy on internet a software that simulate these dongles, and some of our customer use it ...).

My first point t is, I will not complain about changing the protection mechanism: we change password, don't we ?

But, selecting a good protection needs to understand what are the consequences for your customer and your company. I think Cadsoft miss that. In our company, we never propose a protection based on host ID, because host ID is troubles for your customers and also for you. And troubles is not how we do business in industrial environment.

We propose to our customers 2 solutions: license server EVEN FOR 1 USER LICENSE, or dongle protection (we designed our own new dongle, I have done the PCB design (with Eagle of course)).

Why Host ID is trouble for customers:

1. - You PC crashes, or need a reinstall, you loose the host ID. Even if Cadsoft regenerate a new license, you already lost time to reinstall or change your PC, but you have spare time to beg a new license ! not really 'industrial'... Ho, I forget, you can use a second host id... so now, explain me how I will give you TODAY the host ID of my future pc or OS I will have when, in 11 month, I will need to change my PC (or OS) ?!?
                                2. - In industry, it's easy to manage IDENTICAL COMPUTER. So even  there is 1 user license, license server is always the best option. Most of our big customers  always have a spare computers, ready to go, and If someone encounter some trouble, they immediately change the computer: it's easy if all is on server, not with host ID. And don't think that they are crazy: they know how much it cost when you employees can not work... That why we do the same in our company.
                                3. - You boss will finally accept to buy you a new computer with higher performance, but you will explain that it's tricky, you can really easily change your PC because of that host ID ??????
                                4. - I also have a personal license (for my personal use since I'm also a hobbyist), my pc run with LInux (opensuse).  Each time there is a new linux distribution I install it on my computer (1 per year). Will i have to beg for a new license ?????
                                5. - and I don't mention all the good reasons previously written on that forum...

And on the Cadsoft side, there are 2 options:

1. - They accept to regenerate host ID to all customer that need to : It's a lot of work for nothing, and they will not control any thing ( what will prove them that you have changed your os or your pc ? ( I will not spend a penny to send them the remains of my  PC)...
                                2. - They refuse to regenerate host id: they will be accused of theft by their customers.

My conclusion :

So I'm sorry to say that: it's not really serious to choose:  'No dongle AND no flexlm for 1 user'.

For my company, my boss is not ready to buy a software based on host ID. And if there is no way to have a license server option (or at least a dongle), I think I would have trouble to convince him (we don't have the auto-router license, so except hierarchical schematics, this version will bring us hostID, (hoop sorry) troubles...).

For my own personal license: I was about to purchase the V7 update, but I will not, unless:

• Cadsoft propose a dongle option (even if it costs a little bit more because of the dongle itself).
                                • or Cadsoft will confirm that in November, when I will reinstall new linux OS (next opensuse version) (On the same computer of course), the host ID will not change.
                                • or last option, Cadsoft let us purchase a single user flexlm license, so I could run the server on a old computer. But that solution sucks because this means that I could not use Eagle out of my home, even if my computer is a laptop !

PS for Cadsoft reader:

I understand the need to change a protection system.

I understand that dongle can be challenging, specially if you plan to use dongle from an other company.

Our experience is that we designed our own dongle, 3 years ago. We already sold 2700 dongle with our software, and each dongle cost us 14€. This dongle is design for us only, so hackers have too few interest to hack the protection. And we save money: the previous one cost us 35€ and it was so popular (used by several famous software) that is was hacked !

But why no 1 user server based solution ?????

Guillaume Barrey

patweston

"My first point t is, I will not complain about changing the protection mechanism: we change password, don't we ?"

It takes 30 seconds to change a password. I've spent 2 fruitless and frustrating hours trying to install the license server using inadequate instructions without success.

IMHO dongles are a pain as well. I have about a two dozen software packages that don't use dongles and are reasonably well protected.

Why can't Eagle serve the licenses so I don't have to host a server. There will be no need for VPN and no need for me to screw around for hours adding more unwanted software on my computer.

What really irks me is that installing 7.0.0 removed previous versions, so here I am without the ability to continue working.

What a royal blunder. Thanks Eagle!!!

kikoun

patweston a écrit:

"My first point t is, I will not complain about changing the protection mechanism: we change password, don't we ?"

It takes 30 seconds to change a password. I've spent 2 fruitless and frustrating hours trying to install the license server using inadequate instructions without success.

IMHO dongles are a pain as well. I have about a two dozen software packages that don't use dongles and are reasonably well protected.

Why can't Eagle serve the licenses so I don't have to host a server. There will be no need for VPN and no need for me to screw around for hours adding more unwanted software on my computer.

What really irks me is that installing 7.0.0 removed previous versions, so here I am without the ability to continue working.

What a royal blunder. Thanks Eagle!!!

My point was that some time we have to change things. But when we plan to change something, we had to think about it carefully and think about the consequences. And it's seems that Cadsoft didn't figure that.

I didn't know that installing V7 will uninstall previous version. THAT IS STUPID FOR A SOFTWARE USED FOR PRODUCTION OR INDUSTRY. How could we work if the new version is buggy. And how we open/edit some project without converting it to new version (to send it to someone who still work with the previous version for example)

And according to your message, it seems that the documentation were not ready too...

The idea of Eagle serving license is quite good (National Instrument use some thing like that for is Labveiw software and it work fine !) The limitation is that you need internet access...

For dongle protection, I encounter some trouble too (with the Autocad's dongle, and with dongles we used to protect our software. That why we develop our own dongle).

SpacedCowboy

Guillaume barrey wrote:

The idea of Eagle serving license is quite good (National Instrument use some thing like that for is Labveiw software and it work fine !) The limitation is that you need internet access...

Well it would be good - if they allowed single user licenses to use flexor, but since they don't, it's a non-starter for me.

CadSoft Guest

Am 19.07.2014 22:28, schrieb patweston:

snip

What really irks me is that installing 7.0.0 removed previous versions,

Can someone confirm that??

And what about a Cadsoft statement regarding it?

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag

coflynn

Not for me - I installed 7.0.0 to test it out, and have all my previous versions still there & licensed...

CadSoft Guest

On 7/21/2014 3:13 AM, Joern Paschedag wrote:

snip

My guess here is that patweston is using a Mac. For some reason, I can't

comprehend like many things, the MacOS automatically uninstalls previous

versions of software when you install a new one. I'm not a hard core Mac

user, and someone more experienced than me can correct me on that but

that has been my experience.

EAGLE never automatically uninstalls by design.

hth,

Jorge Garcia

SpacedCowboy

CadSoft Guest wrote:

snip

It's just another screw-up on Cadsoft's part. The Mac (like any computer) only does what the software engineer tells it to. If your installer deletes old versions, it's not a "Mac" thing, it's a decision taken by the software engineer who wrote that software.

FYI, I have a Mac with

simon% ls -dl /Applications/EAGLE*

drwxr-xr-x  15 simon  admin  510 Oct 13  2011 /Applications/EAGLE

drwxr-xr-x  14 simon  admin  476 Jun  6  2012 /Applications/EAGLE-6.1.0

drwxrwxr-x  12 simon  admin  408 Oct  9  2012 /Applications/EAGLE-6.2.0

drwxrwxr-x   6 simon  admin  204 Aug 13  2013 /Applications/EAGLE-6.3.0

drwxr-xr-x  14 simon  admin  476 Dec 16  2013 /Applications/EAGLE-6.5.0

Clearly, each installation takes place in its own directory in /Applications. I haven't installed v7 because I've no intention of buying it - the brain-dead licensing being the sole reason.

Simon.

CadSoft Guest

Am 21.07.2014 21:17, schrieb Jorge Garcia:

snip

EAGLE never automatically uninstalls by design.

hth,

Jorge Garcia

At least not until now?

Thanks for your answer Jorge.

From being a long time user I know that eagle has sometimes problems

with  Mac.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am a win user (although if this

problem exist it concerns all eagle users) and maybe I hear some more

statements.

--

Joern Paschedag

salamander7

When installing version 7 under MacOS, the CadSoft installer indeed deletes all working files in the old 6.6 directory. Looks like my quick checkout of the new version didn't go quite as planned. Time to scramble and try to restore my previous version from backup.

This is NOT a MacOS problem, it is a Cadsoft installer problem and one that needs to be fixed pronto.

CadSoft Guest

Am 23.07.2014 00:17, schrieb Matt Compton:

When installing version 7 under MacOS, the CadSoft installer indeed

deletes all working files in the old 6.6 directory. Looks like my quick

checkout of the new version didn't go quite as planned. Time to scramble

and try to restore my previous version from backup.

This is NOT a MacOS problem, it is a Cadsoft installer problem and one

that needs to be fixed pronto.

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

http://www.element14.com/community/message/121457

Thanks Matt for this clear information.

--

Joern Paschedag

CadSoft Guest

On 7/22/2014 10:57 PM, Joern Paschedag wrote:

Am 23.07.2014 00:17, schrieb Matt Compton:

When installing version 7 under MacOS, the CadSoft installer indeed

deletes all working files in the old 6.6 directory. Looks like my quick

checkout of the new version didn't go quite as planned. Time to scramble

and try to restore my previous version from backup.

This is NOT a MacOS problem, it is a Cadsoft installer problem and one

that needs to be fixed pronto.

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

http://www.element14.com/community/message/121457

Thanks Matt for this clear information.

Hi Guys,

I will report this, if it is an installer issue it's not intentional.

Otherwise we would have all of the other installers (Windows and Linux)

doing the same thing, which of course would be very bad. I'll

let you know what response I receive from the devs.

Best Regards,

Jorge Garcia

CadSoft Guest

On 18.07.2014 23:01, Simon Gornall wrote:

I have multiple computers, and I use multiple locations. I've always

only ever used one instance of Eagle at a time, and I've never given the

license details to anyone else. Unfortunately, the latest way in which

Eagle is licensed is way too restrictive for me to work with the product

as I have done for over a decade now.

Same here.... We even have a 3 seat license, which in the last 10 years

never was used with more than a single user.

Markus

Joop14

It looks like Cadsoft want to piss off their customers. The most important question for them is, how many more licences will they sell because of this "improved license management" and how many future sales/upgrades they will lose...

It's true that you can find pirated copies with torrent but, honestly, people who use those pirated copies for free, will never buy a license because they are not professionals. For them it's not important enough to spend money for a license. So, their is not much gain for Cadsoft.

And I'm sure that also V7 will be cracked and available on torrent soon. In the end, honest people who have bought a license will be punished with this silly "host-id" restriction and the pirates will continue laughing.

We have bought a license for the professional version (V6) but with this "improved license management" it's unlikely that we are going to upgrade...

Could this all be because Farnell has bought Cadsof Eagle?

kikoun

Hi,

Joop14 is right.

Since V5 I use eagle, I purchased my license for my personal use, I made my company to purchase it's own, so at work I use the license of my company. I and my company purchase the upgrade to V6.

I could use only one license for my company and my personal use, but I didn't and I will not. But if we can not purchase a server base 1 user license or a dongle based one, my company will certainly not purchase and update and we will keep V6. And for my personal use I will do the same.

As I said

we don't have the auto-router license, so except hierarchical schematics, this version will bring us hostID, (hoop sorry) troubles

so why purchase this update ?

And why on earth they don't let us choose a 1 user server based license: there is NO technical issue since all the license server I know support 1 user or several users !!!

I'm not into future reading, and I don't know

how many more licenses will they sell because of this "improved license management"

but I see one thing: if they don't change their policy, they at least loose my license, that the one of my company.

CadSoft Guest

On 20.07.2014 09:17, Joop14 wrote:

Greetings from Mr. Shareholder Value

Markus

CadSoft Guest

Am 21.07.2014 07:43, schrieb Markus Rudolf:

On 20.07.2014 09:17, Joop14 wrote:

Greetings from Mr. Shareholder Value

Markus

I think so.

Afaik there was an agreement between the founders and Farnell to

continue the business as it was then..

Perhaps the peace time has run out?

--

Joern Paschedag

dukepro

On 07/20/2014 03:17 AM, Joop14 wrote:

This is the kind of thing that happens when a bureaucrat is left alone

in a room with a typewriter.

Did they expected to boost their sales with a more restrictive license

policy, or moving from a user based license to a concurrent license?

Cadsoft, you were doing so well.  Now you've made a strategic decision

down a path that will more likely lead to fewer sales, not more.

I, for one, am looking forward to version 7.1 that reverts back to the

previous licensing policy, you know, the one that produced the growth

that you've seen so far.

- Chuck

10 year+ eagle user.

CadSoft Guest

Hi!

Am 21.07.2014 15:55, schrieb Chuck Huber:

This is the kind of thing that happens when a bureaucrat is left alone

in a room with a typewriter.

Exactly.

Did they expected to boost their sales with a more restrictive license

policy, or moving from a user based license to a concurrent license?

They do, as Walter Spermann explained: They concentrate on a new

customer base in Asia/Russia and that these new customers want a

licensing scheme like this. Hence they give a shit on us paying

customers of the past.

I, for one, am looking forward to version 7.1 that reverts back to the

previous licensing policy, you know, the one that produced the growth

that you've seen so far.

The next thing you'll probably get is the dongle that Jorge Garcia is so

hot for. You'll have to wait for V8, at least. However, all these

activities add more and more cost to the product, but there is

absolutely no value added, no progress...

All that's left to do for now: Don't upgrade.

Rene

CadSoft Guest

rk wrote on Mon, 21 July 2014 10:20

They do, as Walter Spermann explained: They concentrate on a new

customer base in Asia/Russia and that these new customers want a

licensing scheme like this.

That's nonsense.  Much more likely, Cadsoft is worried about more license

fraud from those areas and is seeking to protect itself, which is exactly

the opposite of what the customers want in Asia and Russia.

Overall, this means Cadsoft values the potential new customers more than

the existing ones.  This makes me worry that much of their future effort

will be in producing Chinese and Russian language versions instead of

giving us new features.

The more I hear, the more this sounds like the beginning of the end.  I

have a lot invested in Eagle, but now that seems like a liability.  With

the obnoxios license structure and the future of Eagle itself now in

question, it's time to look around to see what else is out there.

--

Web access to CadSoft support forums at www.eaglecentral.ca.  Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

CadSoft Guest

Hello Olin,

> The more I hear, the more this sounds like the beginning of the end.

I have a lot invested in Eagle, but now that seems like a liability.  With

the obnoxios license structure and the future of Eagle itself now in

question, it's time to look around to see what else is out there.

I agree with you .... unfortunately.

And regarding cr...s - I am quite sure the cr...ed versions will be

"available" soon, similar like for other software. A lot of software

based on hardware-Id got the "k..gen" and ...

For me the best protection was the method used from 3.x to 5.x - the

editors serial stored in the file.

Best regards

--

Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.

office tel/fax : +48 32 2505840

mobil : +48 501 301515

http://www.complex.org.pl/

skyflyrr

Our company has a 3 seat Pro license and we will be searching for another CAD software to use.

Bob Moreno

philpem

On 21/07/14 15:35, Bob Moreno wrote:

Our company has a 3 seat Pro license and we will be searching for

another CAD software to use.

We're using a competing package at work (about which nobody has a nice

word to say). I've been pushing for a trial of EAGLE, on the basis that

the realtime forward/back annotation alone would have saved us hours.

I think I'm going to find a better use of my time. And that was a

potential 5-seat site licence sale for Cadsoft, potentially increasing

if there was interest from other development sites.

I hear the Altium branded grass is a little greener this time of year...

--

Phil.

philpem@philpem.me.uk

Eugeny Brychkov

I agree that it happened because of purchase of CadSoft. Guys in Farnell believe that forcing stricter licensing policies will bring less pirate action and more revenue. As some of us already said here, pirates will not be affected and will just laugh on rightful people having issues with new version. If people will not be upgrading to 7.0, v.6 will stay the de-facto standard, and pirates will have even easier life...

What can I recommend to Farnell? If you want more revenue, do better sales and marketing job getting new businesses. More customers having more designs. Less sellers on the market selling designs using non-licensed software.

Existing revenue cow can die if abused. Change of business model is possible, but it should be very careful, and responsive. That's basics!

I personally invested my time in supporting EAGLE (see http://kb.gr8bit.ru/KB0015/GR8BIT-KB0015-Best-practices-creating-designs-with-EAGLE.html), and wish it long fruitful life - for CadSoft and its users. Let's hope it will get better, and, anyway, we still have version 6, which works well and satisfies our needs.

asj

The licensing change is really unfortunate, and means there's no way I can upgrade, even though the features are most interesting.  Reasons:

1. Running a license server means I need to immediately involve IT in the software purchasing decision.  We're a small research group at the far flung edge of the world, without local IT or EngOps. So this means I have to work with "national" IT, and coordinate work with company wide IT about 16 hours away.  For $1000-$2000 of software? They're already busy as it is, and their first question will be: what alternatives are there?

2. The 2 or 3 people using eagle now need VPN access.  We've never needed it before, all our email and voice/video conferring is done without VPN access and provides 99% of the people what they need.  Again, back to IT for assistance.

3. We frequently work at test labs, or remote sites around the world.  Getting VPN access, if at all possible is probably going to be over roaming sim cards via tethered phones.  We either can't pull up schematics anymore, or we're going to be paying huge amounts of money to tether to roaming sim cards.  For what?  Eagle to do a license check? 

Solidworks, IAR, etc all have these problems and they're already a royal pain.  Need to replace the IAR dongle? $500-$750 to replace. Ran into that lovely problem when an airline lost some luggage.  Never again am I going willingly down that route with any company.  To bad too, I've worked with eagle for almost 10 years.

kevinh

Wow, thanks for this 'news'!

I used the hobby version just because many friends do/did. For business (very small) I looked at the professional versions, but found for the board area and layers I required Eagle was just too expensive, so even with my Eagle experience decided to opt for DesignSpark PCB which has absolutely no hassle regarding licensing.

I regularly move my designs between my laptop and desktops according to where I'm working and as the sole user feel this should be acceptable for a single user licence (think this was the old Borland analogy, treat it as a book, read it where you require, but don't copy it?), so now extremely pleased I made the right decision for me and invested the time to learn a new package.

Although DSPCB has some limitations for my manual layouts (I believe strongly this is the designers responsibility) I find I can achieve good designs efficiently and it is well suited to most users, both hobby and professional.

If I want more features then I'm not sure what software I would progress to, but it certainly will not now be Eagle!

Glad I wandered here to see what new features were incorporated in Eagle........

dougw

I purchased Eagle Pro about 10 years ago after very carefully evaluating all the options - I was already proficient with most of the major CAD packages. I have not regretted the decision - Eagle is a great little CAd package and I have designed hundreds of PCBs with it. However its very success as a great little CAD package is pushing it to transition further away from the hobbiest and educational markets towards the mainstream industrial CAD market and all their associated infrastructure. This is a difficult transition in a competitive market and I don't pretend to understand why they feel this licensing policy is the best approach to meet their goals, but I'm sure they have reasons.

Unfortunately, this takes Eagle off its position as the #1 most desirable CAD package for users in my market segment.

Fortunately, I will be able to use version 6 to meet my needs for a few years before I need to make another careful choice.

As an aside, in this age of technology, where big brother knows your every move, it is easy to figure out how to track software usage without any draconian licensing policies and you don't even need to get involved in policing - every police force now has a software fraud squad.

NF6X

I started using Eagle on my Mac in 2010, and purchased Eagle Professional v5 with schematic, layout and autorouter. I use it for hobby purposes, but I use higher-end PCB CAD software at work in my day job, so I just felt too constrained by the limitations of the lower tiers of Eagle.

I then upgraded to Eagle Professional v6 in 2012. As I recall, that was a paid upgrade, and I happily upgraded due to the new features in v6.

Due to the licensing change in v7, not to mention the brain-dead removal of prior versions when installing v7, I will not be upgrading to v7. I'll continue using v6 for the time being, until I find a better alternative. KiCad is starting to look interesting. I clearly don't mind paying for good software, but I will not tolerate intrusive license management. Even if upgrading to v7 was free of charge, I would not upgrade due to its intrusive license management.

Of course, once I become satisfied with another tool, I won't be likely to switch back to Eagle even if they remove the intrusive licensing enforcement in some later version. Switching CAD systems is not a decision to be taken lightly, and it takes strong reasons to force an engineer to change tools. The licensing in v7 is a strong enough reason to cause me to drop Eagle and switch to another tool.

CadSoft Guest

Due to the licensing change in v7, not to mention the brain-dead removal

of prior versions when installing v7, I will not be upgrading to v7.

Hi Mark,

Just a comment on the brain dead removal of prior versions on the Mac. I

wanted to update that I brought the issue to the attention of our

developers and we can confirm that the issue is with the software we use

to package EAGLE for the Mac. We will be updating this software soon, so

this will no longer be a problem.

hth,

Jorge Garcia

NF6X

Just a comment on the brain dead removal of prior versions on the Mac. I

wanted to update that I brought the issue to the attention of our

developers and we can confirm that the issue is with the software we use

to package EAGLE for the Mac. We will be updating this software soon, so

this will no longer be a problem.

Well, that's nice. It still doesn't address the primary issue I have with v7, which is the new licensing enforcement. This alone is enough to make me not consider using v7, even as a free upgrade. I want to make sure that CadSoft understands that they are losing my future revenue as an Eagle Professional customer due to this change.

CadSoft Guest

> Well, that's nice. It still doesn't address the primary issue I have

with v7, which is the new licensing enforcement. This alone is enough to

make me not consider using v7, even as a free upgrade. I want to make

sure that CadSoft understands that they are losing my future revenue as

an Eagle Professional customer due to this change.

Hi Mark,

Point taken, lets see what management decides to do with it.

Best Regards,

Jorge Garcia

kirash4

I guess v6.6.0 will be my last one as well. I use Eagle on two separate workstations as well as my laptop that I travel with. All of them are single instances, meaning I'm not running them at the same time. However, our machines do go through upgrades/replacements at least once a year (at different intervals) and to have to deal with hostids and what not each and every time, not to mention needing at least two licenses (since it's possible to install one license on two machines), it's just not worth it anymore. This was a bad move on CADSoft/Farnell and I wish them the best in the future. They lost another customer not to mention the many friends I've originally recommended Eagle to who are now also leaving.

NF6X

kirash4 wrote:

They lost another customer not to mention the many friends I've originally recommended Eagle too who are now also leaving.

That's a good point. Not only will CadSoft lose my future revenue; there will also be the admittedly small effect that at some point my open-source hardware designs will be developed in some tool other than Eagle. While there's presently only a small handful of people who pay attention to my open hardware due to its niche application, I can imagine that if this licensing change induces other open hardware contributors to switch from Eagle to something else (most likely KiCad), that will have some impact upon which CAD tools new engineers will select based on their experiences with public projects from more experienced designers.

I get the impression that there has been a long rivalry between Eagle and KiCad at the low end of the PCB CAD spectrum. I believe that this change will inevitably tip the scales much more towards KiCad in that area. Perhaps CadSoft/Farnell have decided they don't care so much about the low-end, and want to go after higher end users? That won't fly, though, because Eagle isn't even close to being real competition to products from the like of Mentor, Cadence and Altium. The primary reason I picked Eagle Professional for my personal use vs. Mentor PADS that I use at work, is that I didn't want to use pirated software and PADS is priced way too high for a home user; even one like me who's willing to pay $1,500 for CAD software for hobby use. Oh, yeah, PADS also has obnoxious licensing enforcement that causes all of the expected headaches. But in terms of capability, there's no competition between PADS and Eagle. I wouldn't dream of using Eagle for the types of things I do at work, such as a recent 18-layer PCB with hundreds of multi-GHz impedance-matched diff pair nets.

I strongly feel that this is a foot-shooting move on CadSoft/Farnell's part.

CadSoft Guest

Hello All,

In light of all of the issues of the new licensing mechanism, we have

decided to revert to our licensing scheme. There will no longer be a

requirement to use a HostID or FlexLM server.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Jorge Garcia

rbtx99

The licencing is the main reason I didn't upgrade past V5. I do fancy some of the new features and I was considering upgrading but not if I have to loose the flexibility of running EAGLE at work, home and laptop. Whilst Cadsoft may have prevented some licencing fraud in my case they lost both the V6 and V7 upgrades.

I like EAGLE and I will continue to use my v5 version as long as I can; then move to something else. KiCad perhaps. The good news is that the v5 runs on Windows 10 so I am not pressed to change and I can continue to maintain the old projects.

CadSoft Guest

On 13/09/15 19:35, Angelos Gonias wrote:

The licencing is the main reason I didn't upgrade past V5.

Catch up at the back there!

This is an entirely obsolete issue. The current (main) V7 license works

the same way as the V5 one did. Yes, there are new options that you

probably don't want, but you don't have to have them.

rbtx99

CadSoft Guest wrote:

This is an entirely obsolete issue. The current (main) V7 license works

Well that is good news and tempting to do an update. But what do you mean about the options?

CadSoft Guest

On 14/09/15 09:22, rbtx99 wrote:

CadSoft Guest wrote:

This is an entirely obsolete issue. The current (main) V7 license

works

Well that is good news and tempting to do an update. But what do you

mean about the options?

V7 introduced some extra license types, now called "Make Pro" and "Make

Personal", that require Internet connections and such. Just ignore them.

The "standard" and "professional" licenses are the same as they always were.

CadSoft Guest

V7 introduced some extra license types, now called "Make Pro" and "Make

Personal", that require Internet connections and such. Just ignore them.

The "standard" and "professional" licenses are the same as they always were.

Make Personal, is the Hobbyist renamed it doesn't require an internet

connection. The only real new thing is Make Pro, which has an area

limitation instead of the fixed dimensions we used to have. That's the

only real new thing.

Basically with Make Pro as long as your board is less than approx 24 sq

inches you'll be OK, you have flexible limits.

Everything else is just a rose by a different name.

hth,

Jorge Garcia

kedwa30

I've read the first and last pages and so I understand the issue to be resolved with this particular product, but I had an idea that I just wanted to put out there.

"You are only allowed to install on 2 (which is pitiful!) computers if you have a single user license."

What about the possibility of installing to a virtual machine? If that is allowed at all, then that could solve the problem since you'd be able to put the virtual machine file on a external drive or keep it in the cloud and boot it to any host machine you happen to have available.

Of course it's not an ideal solution since the virtual machine is always a fraction of the power of the bare metal machine. Technically it would only be installed to the one virtual machine which would only exist when it is booted. Another workaround is to use one of many programs that allows you to control a computer remotely. Of course that requires a network connection.

Someday the notion of having a single machine will be erased as home computers become made up of arrays of single board computers setup like a supercomputer. Rather than upgrade to a faster desktop, increasing compute power will be accomplished by adding boards to the array. Boards that go bad will simply be removed from the array.

When a person buys a product they expect to pay one time. When they buy a service or a subscription, that's different. If two people share three cars, they end up paying for six insurance policies, one per person per car. They don't expect to do the same with software.

It's not the same and should not be billed the same. Software is not insurance. If it was, then it should be regulated like insurance is regulated. Think about that.

CadSoft Guest

On 9/15/2015 12:20 PM, Kenneth Edwards wrote:

I've read the first and last pages and so I understand the issue to be

resolved with this particular product, but I had an idea that I just

wanted to put out there.

"You are only allowed to install on 2 (which is pitiful!) computers if

you have a single user license."

Hi Kenneth,

I hope you're doing well. Again, this is obsolete information. We

removed that licensing mechanism one month after the release of V7 and

reverted back to our old system which allows users to install on as many

machines as they have.

These types of concerns are precisely why(thankfully) management made

the decision to back off on this licensing mechanism(I'm sure the

horrendous blow to sales helped a bit too ).

This entire thread is obsolete because we removed that very offensive

licensing scheme.

This is how things stand now 09/15/2015:

1. You may install EAGLE on as many machines as you own. As long as no

more than the number of licensed users are using EAGLE at any point in

time you are complying with the license.

Ex. If you have a 3 user license, you can install EAGLE on an infinite

number of machines as long as no more than 3 people are using EAGLE at

the same time everything is cool.

2. Licenses are assigned to a location. So for example if you have 3

offices around the world. Each one needs to have it's own license, this

enables the person responsible for the license at each location to

monitor the use of the licenses locally.

3. All of the updates within a major version are free.

Ex. We are now in V7. You will receive 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, etc. for no

additional cost. You use the same key file and installation code to

license each update.

4. Upgrades are not compulsory, users determine if they wish to upgrade

or not.

Ex. Once V8 is released, you have the option to continue using V7

without paying another cent. Keep in mind that development of a major

series stops once a new major version comes out so you will not receive

any new bugfixes or corrections(Unless it's something exceptional). The

other choice is to upgrade to V8 for an upgrade fee. The upgrade fee is

roughly 1/3 of your original purchase price.

hth,

Jorge Garcia

Cadsoft Support