6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 12:35 PM by Nate1616

Looking for 3D printing and scanning recommendations for hobbyist

chazmanot

I am looking at getting into the 3D printing/scanning as a hobbyist and would like to hear about some recommendations on what systems work well with one another.  especially when it comes to scanning with a kinect system and what software works best.  I have been searching on the internet to gain insight on which 3d printer would be best for my interest and that's when I came across the element14 site.  I'm glad to have become a member.  So, which 3d printer are the best for hobbyist?  Looking for robust, reliable system.  Is the makerbot or cube good systems or are there systems just as good if not better at a lower cost?  I would appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Chazmanot

• Re: Looking for 3D printing and scanning recommendations for hobbyist
          michaelwylie

We've got a Wanhao at my work, and I do not recommend it. I've heard the printbot is very good for the price, but someone else will have a better opinion. I can just tell you which printer not to buy ....

DAB

Hi Charles,

I just got a PrinterBot Jr. and am happy with it so far, but I have just begun to learn on it.

I have been looking for a good 3D scanner myself and have not come to a solution that I am ready to purchase yet.

If you find a good one, I would be interested in what you find.

By the way, I was just about ready to buy the printerbot Jr. before I won it here at Element 14, so if it meets your needs, it has a good entry cost point.

I think the best way to decide is first define what you want to use it for and then look for the printers that meets your needs.

After that, it is just a matter of assessing reliability, maintenance and available support.

Rest assured, no matter which one you buy, you will see one next week that looks better.  Its just how fast the technology is moving.

DAB

dragonstyne

Greetings Charles,

There is a 3D printer Road Test Here

http://www.element14.com/community/roadTests/1354

That you may be interested in.

-Steve

Nate1616

Hello Charles,

As far as a scanner goes I typically use something such as Autodesk 123D catch with either my Ipad or Iphone.  This tool is among many that do the same.  I'm all about saving money!  But if you are looking to get a scanner you are kind of limited if you don't want to spend at least a couple grand.  Makerbot makes one that does a good job.  As I haven't really spend a lot of time with the Kinect I cant say much about it other than it did what I wanted it to.

As far as printers go both the Makerbot and Cube are great printers but very expensive.  Don't get me wrong you get a lot of features in that cost.  Just be aware that when a filament cartridge is involved, it typically limits your options for filament to only that manufacturer.  Most printers in the market are going to print about the same resolution so to say one is better than others is a little hard to do.  Now if you are looking to get ultra high detailed objects you might want to look at something such as the Form1 or Autodesk's Spark.  These are SLA bases printers.  The downside is small build sizes.

Nate

chazmanot

Thanks for the feedback!  i really appreciate it.  There are two systems that I am looking at:  the MakerGear and the Robox cue.  Makergear had tons of 5 star reviews while reviewers were knocking the MakerBot.  With Makerbot, I don't want to get locked into proprietary software "it seems" to me.  Robox has some great features but seem like they are a start up company.  Any comments on these two printers?  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks Again.