9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2017 1:25 PM by balearicdynamics

Cirrus Logic Audio Card Enclosure for Pi Model B+ / Pi 2 Model B

realies

Hello, I was recently making a research about an enclosure option for the Raspberry Pi Model B+ with the Cirrus Logic audio card but I couldn't really find anything. I was wondering if any of you could have seen something that might work? I own the Pi model B with the Wolfson card and have them equipped with this enclosure (http://uk.farnell.com/camdenboss/wolfson-board-case-carbon/enclosure-box-abs-carbon-fibre/dp/2407263), but apparently the form factor is different and I can't suit it to fit he Model B+ with the Cirrus Logic audio card.

• Re: Cirrus Logic Audio Card Enclosure for Pi Model B+ / Pi 2 Model B
          prairietech

Sorry I don't have an answer for your question but am looking for a similar enclosure.

What do you think of the Camden enclosure for the B?  I am not happy with this poor fitting enclosure but it appears to be the only one out there for this combination.

Hopefully who ever comes up with the B+ / Cirrus combination will do a better job.

misteeq

I build today one for myself. Its not a full enclosure, more like a protector.

I choose as base the Adafruit Pi Protector for B+. Adafruit Pi Protector for Raspberry Pi Model B+ / Pi 2 ID: 2292 - $7.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electron…

You need the following extra parts:

2x standoffs 4 mm long

4x standoffs 14 mm long

2x M3 screws 5mm long

4x M3 nuts

1x plate for the top, I bought a second Pi Protector only for the plate.

1. Build together the Pi Protector with the Raspberry Pi inside.

2. Mount underneath the cirrus board the the 4mm standoffs, take the both holes which are away from the GPIO connector.

3. Mount on the upper side the 14mm standoffs.

4. Mount the top plate on the 4 14mm standoffs.

5. Connect the Cirrus board to the Raspberry Pi.

Misteeq

PS: Sorry for my bad english, but it is not my first language.

balearicdynamics

I think it is the worth to design one then make it with 3D printer. I am happy to do this (Me too have this audio card) but I have a problem that you other interested users can be helpful to solve. I should know the exact measures for the Pi and the Card, I mean this sort of 3D models of the boards (I have found this for the Arduino for example). With this 3D object it is not so complex to make the perfect enclosure as the internal 3D object is subtracted to the external having all the holes and cuts for the plugs in the right position. Taking manually measures it is a very long operation and not always it is easy to have the exact measure. I have done it for some other boards but the result is always a long time consuming operation needing many experiments with the 3D printer before catching the right internal position.

If someone of you can find these I will prepare the 3D files and post the STL for 3D printing.

Enrico

marcelheijkoop

Hi Enrico,

Since the cards are back in use with me , I too am shopping for a case.

Recently I discovered ready design for laser cut in thingiverse : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:785289

And I assume these designs can somehow be used for input in your design.

In stead of cutting the 6 sides you could pint them as almost 2d objects for x mm thick.

and now I look again, I also see a 3d print design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1928071

It is a 3 object set that needs 4 screws and nuts to keep it together.

With some modifications you could eliminate the use of the original pillars and nylon screws , as the middle object is embraced by the pi and and clac PCB.

And should be able to supports the boards like the pillars would do

With the top and bottom lid added to that , correct sized rubber bands could hold it together .

If you decide to print some, let me know how I can get them too.

Regards M

PS: And let's add a few peak holes to see the leds for the  clac and pi 2B and 3B !

ps2: I see the 3D print design has internal struts for the PCB separation but only at the GPIO side , and would be more useful at the other side.

Else the outside shell is the only one clamping the 3.5 mm connectors on their barrels.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      balearicdynamics

Hello Marcel,

first of all thankyou for the information; I have no longer used my Cirrus Logic audio card but I plan to use it in a project I am working on so with come modifications this case maybe interesting.

Respect to the 3D printed part container all I have found on thingiverse, excluding very few cases is almost usuable. First of all because it is just STL format that is a 3D printing destination and very very difficult to manage with normal CAD applications. Essentially it STL is not. In my opinion the only really efficient use for the 3D STL files is to redesign one (usually with more respect of the 3D printing behaviour and some decent mechanic improvement for robustness) using the STL just as a model reference for holes measures, sizes etc. When the STL is not just theorycal and as a matter of fact it is not printable with good results. In the case you mention is is shown 3D printed so it seems ok as a base for modifications.

With some modifications you could eliminate the use of the original pillars and nylon screws , as the middle object is embraced by the pi and and clac PCB.

I should look in depth ow this structure is done and rebuild one but I have liked the project to make it easy to find it later.

About the other project instead based on laser cut acrylic:

In stead of cutting the 6 sides you could pint them as almost 2d objects for x mm thick.

Technically it is possible and it has sense. I have done it for a case I had to build very fast when I was in the Netherlands but I was out of acrylic and the small laser cutter was already sent back to home in Spain. Excluding the case when you have not a laser cutter (and material) to be honest I don't see the real advantage to follow this kind of method. But yes, it works and the result is not so bad. Take a look to the images below; I can't open the case to show you all the parts separately as I am using this BBB (old version) in a project.

This is not a very well done enclosure as I have done it with the parts available. You see that the oonger top and bottom layers are not horizontal... It is due the screws that was a bit longer than the needed measure. But it works doing his job

Enrico

IMG_20170604_085851.jpg

IMG_20170604_085828.jpg

IMG_20170604_085928.jpg